We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting from Ashford to Dover

Palos Verdes...
Level Contributor
3 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Getting from Ashford to Dover

We're taking the Eurostar from Paris to Ashford in June, which seems to be the nearest station to Dover. What is the best way to get from Ashford to Dover?

Lewes, England.
Level Contributor
205 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting from Ashford to Dover

Train.

The international station is next to the domestic station and trains are frequent and take about 30 mins.

Choice of slow or hi-speed . Google south eastern trains.

kent
Destination Expert
for Kent, Solo Travel
Level Contributor
12,860 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting from Ashford to Dover

Pvcat.... the Eurostar train will arrive at platforms 3 or 4 at Ashford International. The Dover Priory trains usually depart from platforms 5 and 6 of the same station. You only need to decend a flight of steps and walk along the internal covered walkway. There is a lift too, in case you have heavy luggage.

Details of the timetable can be seen at www.southeasternrailway.co.uk

The timetable usually gets updated in May each year, and although the times don't alter greatly, it would be worth checking the website shortly before you begin your journey.

Prior to boarding the Dover Priory train, you should buy a train ticket. I'd suggest you ask staff at the station to direct you to the bookings hall, which is within the railway station.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,633 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting from Ashford to Dover

Actually,you might see the platform from the Eurostar, as I think it's the island platform next to the international ones? Also, I think there's slow trains but there is a lift at Dover to but years back it wasn't working on the day I was there.

Rye, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Dover, Rye
Level Contributor
5,922 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting from Ashford to Dover

It's quite easy, just make you sure get in the right part of the train as the train splits at Ashford, and one part goes to Dover and one part goes to Canterbury. I always make sure I count the carriages though. I normally board at Ashford.

Ashford train station is clearly marked and signposted, thankfully :)

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
49,016 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting from Ashford to Dover

Just to say that 'frequent' train service from Ashford to Dover means at least two trains every hour, seven days a week. For much of the day on weekdays there are three trains an hour, two trains every hour at weekends. A timetable is hardly needed.

Problem is more likely to be that so few Eurostar trains stop at Ashford!

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,633 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting from Ashford to Dover

It might be cheaper on the non high speed train as high speed train has a premium fare even from St Pancras to Stratford you can't use a travel card unless this has changed.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
49,016 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting from Ashford to Dover

For local travel from Ashford to Dover, there is no supplement for using the high speed trains. That only applies to journeys to and from Ebbsfleet, Stratford or London.

And correct London Travelcards, Oystercards etc cannot be used between St Pancras and Stratford on high speed trains - although that is not relevant to the original question.

8. Re: Getting from Ashford to Dover

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, March 31, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Dover