We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need more White Cliffs of Dover info

Which Dover hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
213 posts
88 reviews
Save Topic
Need more White Cliffs of Dover info

We're going to visit Europe in May 2013. We've never been and really haven't the slightest idea about how to travel or how to see what would be considered the "must see" sights. We'll be in Dublin for daughters wedding then since we're in the "area" we intend to see more. One of the areas that's always been on my bucket list is the White Cliffs of Dover. I've read the TA forum that has since been closed and it contained a good deal of information but I have two more specific questions.

1.) Realizing you can not really see the cliffs (because you are standing on top of them) is there not a ferry or boat sightseeing tour that would leave from Dover (or another location) that would take you out to see or along the cliffs for a period of time and then return?

2.) Is is not possible to get down to the bottom of the cliffs and walk along what I would call the beach area (knowing it's all rocks)?

3.) And yes I realize the Castle is a sight to see also but this question is about the cliffs themselves.

East Sussex, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
5,261 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need more White Cliffs of Dover info

The white cliffs of Dover can be a bit disappointing IMHO - both for the access/viewing reasons you mention, and the fact that they aren't all that white these days (the bluebirds were an invention of the songwriter too, but that's another story).

The cliffs that you often see in films are not at Dover at all, but The Seven Sisters along the coast in East Sussex. You can take a train to Eastbourne then a bus up to Beachy Head and enjoy a bracing walk *down* to Birling Gap, enjoying great views of the cliffs throughout. From there, you can get a bus back to Eastbourne or continue to Seaford Head over the sisters themselves. There are trains back to London from Seaford too. Better still, base yourself in Lewes or Alfriston for a night or two, to do the area full justice.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_Sisters,_Sussex

should you decide to have a look then "The Tiger" at East Dean should also be on your list, especially midweek when it's less busy.

thegoodpubguide.co.uk/pub/view/Tiger-BN20-0DA

Let us know what you decide.

Mike

Canterbury, United...
Destination Expert
for Canterbury
Level Contributor
3,421 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need more White Cliffs of Dover info

Hi dhornick,

1. If you click Things To Do on this page (on the top left-hand side) then click on the Tours tab, you will find 2 options; Dover Sea Safari which is in a high-speed inflatable RIB, or if you want something more sedate, then there is Dover White Cliff Tours. I can't vouch for either, though, so would encourage you to read the reviews. There is not a 'sightseeing' ferry, but a foot passenger day trip to Calais is possible with P&O Ferries.

2. Yes it's possible - I would recommend going down to the beach at St Margaret's Bay which is a wonderfully picturesque gap in the cliffs with stunning views. You can also go for a walk on the reclaimed land at Samphire Hoe (created using spoil from the Channel Tunnel). I think the cliffs are less white here as they are no longer subject to erosion. You can find reviews on both on the Attractions tab of the Things To Do page (you can find better pictures of St Margaret's Bay via a simple internet search).

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London
Level Contributor
19,397 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need more White Cliffs of Dover info

I will echo argyle mikey's sentiments and recommend that you visit the Seven Sisters as well. It is a beautiful place, and well worth the visit.

Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
213 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need more White Cliffs of Dover info

Great great information. This is exactly the kind of "local" knowledge I was looking for. Thank you for taking the time to reply.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
5,467 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need more White Cliffs of Dover info

One of the best places to see the Seven Sisters is from England only desert. - Dungeness.

…wikipedia.org/wiki/Dungeness_%28headland%29

Not only will you see an area of Special Scientific Interest with many plants and insects you won't see anywhere else, but the top of the old lighthouse should give excellent views of the cliffs and, if you are really unlucky, you might even see France.

Get there via the RH&D Railway

http://www.rhdr.org.uk/

Canterbury, United...
Destination Expert
for Canterbury
Level Contributor
3,421 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need more White Cliffs of Dover info

Amos, are you sure you can see the Seven Sisters from Dungeness??

Dungeness is a fascinating landscape, and I know you can usually make out the White Cliffs Of Dover in the distance unless the visibility is poor, but the Seven Sisters are much further away and on the other side of Beachy Head...

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London
Level Contributor
19,397 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need more White Cliffs of Dover info

Dungeness may be fascinating, but it is almost 50 miles from Beachy Head/Seven Sisters.

There would be no way for the OP to walk along the cliffs from that distance, and they would be quite out of luck if the visibility was poor.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
5,467 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need more White Cliffs of Dover info

My apologies, it is, of course, the White Cliffs of Dover you can see. I still stand by my original post, that Dungeness is more worth visiting than walking along any cliff. But then iconic places are always more of a draw than those really worth visiting. Which, of course, for those in the know is not a bad thing.

Paisley, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need more White Cliffs of Dover info

There's a massive Napoleonic fort on Western Heights. They also built a spiral staircase from the top of the cliff down to sea level, specifically to be able to get troops down from the fort in a hurry. The staircase is I think three spirals in one.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dover_Western_Heights

http://maps.bing.com/default.aspx?v=2&cp=51.119014~1.301022&style=o&lvl=18&sp=Point.51.119014_1.301022_Dover%20Western%20Heights___

Rye, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Dover, Rye
Level Contributor
5,282 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need more White Cliffs of Dover info

I saw a good view of the white cliffs from Folkestone up the Warren. Definetely recommend that walk. On the day I last did it, you could see France also, and that was a cold, crisp December day.

www.whitecliffscountryside.org.uk/index.php…