We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paris to Dover cruise terminal

Which Dover hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lexington, South...
Level Contributor
52 posts
190 reviews
Save Topic
Paris to Dover cruise terminal

I will be cruising in June out of Dover, but would like to stay 2-3 nights in Paris prior to the cruise. How do I go from Paris to Dover cruise terminal area? Do you recommend I stay one night near Dover prior to the cruise, stay in Paris until the morning the cruise ship sails, which is 5pm, or stay one night in Canterbury prior to the cruise?

THANKS...all!

Doylestown...
Level Contributor
1,561 posts
477 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Paris to Dover cruise terminal

You have a couple of options:

- Ashford International train station is about 22 miles from Dover. From there, you can catch the Eurostar to Paris. This will also be the best train station for you to return to and then take a taxi back to the Dover port.

- However, if you are transiting through London, you will have more Eurostar options from London St Pancras terminal or flight options to/from Paris.

- Another option is to take one of the regular ferries from Dover to Calais (2 hour crossings), then a taxi to Calais train station, then take a train from Calais to Paris.

- As for staying nearby Dover on the night before your cruise, I guess it depends on how early you have to check in, how you plan to get to either Dover or Canterbury etc, and what time a train/ferry/taxi will get you back to Dover on time for the cruise.

Oxfordshire
Level Contributor
2,608 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Paris to Dover cruise terminal

The least hassle way of doing this is to get a train from Paris to Ashford., from where there are trains every half hour or so to Dover, taking half an hour.

The problem, though, is that there's only one train a day that stops at Ashford in time for your departure. It arrives at 1000, so you'll be in Dover by 1100.

I don't know what you then do about your bags: if you can check onto the boat, then dump them and look round, Dover Castle's well worth a few hours - though hardly anything else is in Dover ,which is as grisly a town as they come in Britain.

If spending most of the day in Dover doesn't excite you, Canterbury's 20 mins by train from Ashford, and there are a couple of trains from Paris in the afternoon. Get a train there, stay overnight, potter round Canterbury all morning, then trains are every hour or so to Dover, taking about 30 mins

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
6,604 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Paris to Dover cruise terminal

i think Mutiny has got your route the wrong way round - you are going FROM Paris TO Dover.

As well as flanneruk's options, you could always simply take a train from Paris to Calais, and then the ferry from Calais to Dover. This is easily doable by 5.00 p.m. With lots of luggage, you'll need taxis to get you from train to ferry in Calais and ferry to cruise terminal. .

Oxfordshire
Level Contributor
2,608 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Paris to Dover cruise terminal

The ferry option has a serious flaw for cruise passengers.

Getting between the ferry terminals and somewhere to sit on the boat involves a set of buses, walking, stair-climbing and general hassle that's probably a pleasant exercise if you're by yourself with a briefcase.

But with cruise-style luggage, getting from the railway station to a taxi to the terminal through checkin to a bus to the boatside stairs to the narrow stairs in the boat and then doing it all over again in reverse at the other end PLUS standing a queue for immigration - well, many people would feel they'd need a cruise to recover. Ferry companies don't offer porters.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
6,604 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Paris to Dover cruise terminal

Very good point flanneruk - I withdraw my suggestion forthwith!

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
45,591 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Paris to Dover cruise terminal

I agree with flanneruk - the cross channel ferries do not cater at all well for foot passengers and with cruise style luggage you would be in serious need of R&R after such a voyage.

The only sensible option, I believe, to is to take a Eurostar train from Paris to Ashford as suggested above.

If you choose that option, make a reservation on Eurostar asap - the system allows reservations up to 90 days in advance. www.eurostar.com

And check the pricing structure carefully. One-way tickets can be very expensive and it is often cheaper to buy a return (round trip) ticket and throw away the second part once you have completed the outward trip. I have done that more than once and will be doing so again soon.

And yes, Canterbury is a much more pleasant option for a stop overnight but beware that there are no luggage lockers at the train stations, so you would have to perhaps do a deal on storage at an hotel or B&B for the morning or whatever until it was time to get on the train to Dover for your afternoon boarding of the ship.

But Dover Castle is definitely worth a look if you take the same day option and are allowed to store your bags on board the ship during the day.

Hope that helps and enjoy your trip.

Lexington, South...
Level Contributor
52 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Paris to Dover cruise terminal

Thank you......all! Great information. I am now thinking I should skip Paris, and fly direct into London. Stay a few days and train down to Dover to pick up the cruise. What should I do in London if I have 3 days? I suppose I could train down a day early and see Canterbury. Is it worth it? Is there a better town between London and Dover to stay? My only trip to London was two years ago, and I was there for a week. I found it to be very nice to see all the things I have only read about, but it reminded me very much of New York City; crowded, unfriendly, and the hustle & bustle of crowds. Should I fly into Edinburgh first then train down for my cruise? So many options, and so little time!

Thanks again!!

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
45,591 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Paris to Dover cruise terminal

Canterbury is definitely worth a day or two of your time and, as you have read, is within easy reach of Dover for the cruise departure.

As a former resident of the county of Kent, I can safely say that there are many towns and villages in the area worth visiting, for various reasons.

You can google away to your heart's content but here are a few starters:

Canterbury - 2,000 years of history, cathedral, city walls etc etc

Tenterden - small town, plenty of nice old buildings, steam train tourist railway, nice pubs!

Tonbridge (I lived there) - 11th century castle ruins, more nice pubs and really nice countryside around.

Tunbridge Wells - an old 'spa' town, very nice 'designer' type shops in the High Street. and also has a steam train tourist railway.

Faversham - home to England's oldest brewery, that of Shepherd Neame and Co.

All of these are good bases from which to explore the countryside (Kent is not called 'The garden of England' for nothing) and perhaps visit one of the many stately homes, castles and other sights. Dover is within one hour's train journey of the whole county.

If you have sampled London then why not see some more of England - or Scotland!

Edinburgh to Dover is a long (and possibly very expensive) journey but can be accomplished in about 7hrs 30 minutes during the daytime or there is an overnight sleeping car train Edinburgh - London.

Hope that helps. I can appreciate that the decision making process is becoming difficult!

9. Re: Paris to Dover cruise terminal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, April 27, 2010