We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place to stay in Canterbury for anight near University

Canada
Level Contributor
28 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Best place to stay in Canterbury for anight near University

Hello - I'm making a day trip to see my university student child at Canterbury in fall.

Where's the best place to stay for a night that is close to school. Don't mind B&B - St Augustine looks good ?

p.s. They are staying at Davidson halls, north Holmes road, Canterbury, Kent

p.p.s. If I had one night there - were is a good place to dine with them and get a taste of student life ?

Canada
Level Contributor
28 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best place to stay in Canterbury for anight near University

..and one more thing :-)

Anything I should see in Canterbury the next day before heading back to London airport ?

Canterbury, United...
Destination Expert
for Canterbury
Level Contributor
3,694 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best place to stay in Canterbury for anight near University

Given your child's halls of residence I can tell this is for CCCU (as there are two universities it's always best to name the one in question; some may assume you mean UKC). Augustine's would be quite a good location, don't know the B&B but it has excellent reviews, St Augustine's Road is a nice residential road and about 15 mins walk to the city centre, thouigh perhaps if you're walking back to there from CCCU at night via Spring Lane and Pilgrim's Way then it's not the greatest walk.

The Travelodge Canterbury Chaucer Central is also very well located for both CCCU and the city centre, this is a budget chain hotel but may suit for one night.

From your other post I see you might be coming in via St Pancras, so any accommdation near the CCCU end of town will be a 20+ minute walk from Canterbury West and you may want to get a taxi.

Eating - I've never been but Deeson's seems the most popular restaurant in town, certainly the most reviewed one. Cafe des Amis has always been a student favourite. See tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurants-g186311-Canter…

Sights: Canterbury Cathedral (allow 2 hours). For a free attraction, try The Beaney art museum. For other suggestions see tripadvisor.co.uk/Attractions-g186311-Activi…

kent
Destination Expert
for Kent, Solo Travel
Level Contributor
12,732 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best place to stay in Canterbury for anight near University

Food: Been to Deesons and can recommend it, Cafe du Soleil is also very good.

Transport : Canterbury has 2 railway stations. The high speed train to London St Pancras departs from Canterbury West. Timetables and other information can be seen at www.southeasternrailway.co.uk

There's no need to book an advance ticket.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
48,313 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best place to stay in Canterbury for anight near University

Fully agree with all the above, but may I add that the 20 minute walk from Canterbury West station to the CCCU end of town takes you right through the historic city centre, past innumerable places of interest. A great introduction to the city.

I would do that any day in preference to a taxi ride around the boring ring road.

So long as it isn't raining!

I've also stayed in the Coach House B&B which is a few minutes walk from the main CCCU building. I can recommend it.

Canterbury, United...
Destination Expert
for Canterbury
Level Contributor
3,694 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best place to stay in Canterbury for anight near University

Agree with cubsur that I personally would walk from Canterbury West if it isn't raining, would depend on your luggage though I suppose - although the route is flat and mainly pedestrianised. The walk from Canterbury East to CCCU is shorter although not through the historic centre and of course this train journey is longer.

I will also just add that the CCCU building near the Coach House is the new library building (Augustine House). Impressive as it is, it's not the 'main' CCCU building. The main site is still the North Holmes Road campus. There are now various CCCU buildings spread across Canterbury, for example we now have the even newer St George's Centre building in St George's Place which houses the Students Union.

Edited: 6:42 am, October 05, 2013
Canada
Level Contributor
28 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best place to stay in Canterbury for anight near University

Wow - you're all awesome ! Thanks for the replies . I'm travelling with a carry on suitcase on rollers so a 20 min walk through historic Canterbury sounds perfect - even if it's raining.

It also sounds like it would be prudent to travel to/from West station to st pancreas London in terms of time.

Since my student child goes stays on north Holmes road - assuming Couch would be the best choice for proximity .

Is there optimal timing in terms of leaving London on a Sun for Canterbury ? Ie with no rush hour - how late should we stay in London without getting into sketchy situations at the train stations at night, walking down the wrong road in Canterbury, waiting long time for train because of off hours route timings ?

Canterbury, United...
Destination Expert
for Canterbury
Level Contributor
3,694 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best place to stay in Canterbury for anight near University

When you say Couch do you mean Coach House? No, this is not the best choice in terms of proximity to the North Holmes Road campus of CCCU, but Canterbury is such a small city that it doesn't really make much difference. I still think the Travelodge Canterbury Chaucer Central is the absolute nearest, but the Coach House would be no more than another 5 mins walk away.

You might like to familiarise yourself with the location of the campus as you can enter the campus at various points such as The Old Sessions House entrance (main reception building) on Longport or through the gate at the junction of Lady Wootton's Green/Monastry Street. You don't need to navigate to North Holmes Road itself. There's a pdf guide at canterbury.ac.uk/AboutUs/docs/CanterburyCamp…

In terms of the train journey, Sundays are more likely to be affected by engineering works than other days (for example tomorrow Sun 6 Oct there is a replacement bus service between Canterbury West and Ashford). So as long as you've checked in advance as there can be timetable revisions when this happens. A list is published here southeasternrailway.co.uk/your-journey/… and you can use the journey planner at www.nationalrail.co.uk which will tell you if there is a replacement bus, if announced.

You don't really need to worry about "sketchy" areas of town as Canterbury is a very busy tourist/student town even in the evenings but trains are hourly on Sundays so check the timings so you're not waiting too long in the cold at the station. Another thing, Sunday shopping hours mean most shops will close at 4pm if this is any concern to you. If you want full access to the Cathedral on a Sunday, go early before Evensong when access is partially restricted to certain areas (but then again you can often wander in free late on Sunday afternoons).

kent
Destination Expert
for Kent, Solo Travel
Level Contributor
12,732 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best place to stay in Canterbury for anight near University

Thankfully there isn't a rush hour for Sunday, but there are fewer trains than during the working week. The links provided will take you to the timetables. BayBoy has given you very sound advice about potential engineering works, so again, it's well worth checking for any timetable alterations/replacement coaches.

The spire of Canterbury Cathedral dominates the town and is illuminated at night. If you get lost, just head for the Cathedral, which will bring you to the centre of town. Canterbury is small, pretty and walkable,even with a wheelie bag. Although there are taxi's outside both rail stations,due to the ring road system, it's often quicker to walk than get a taxi.

9. Re: Best place to stay in Canterbury for anight near University

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, October 08, 2014