We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First stop Canterbury....

Canton,OH
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
First stop Canterbury....

We are arriving at the Gatwick Airport and driving to Canterbury on our first day in the UK. What are somethings that we might want to stop and visit before arriving in Canterbury? The next day we plan on going over to Dover and then on to Cambridge any suggestions for sightseeing trips?

I have 3 B&B properties in or around Canterbury that we are trying to choose for our 1st night stay "The Barn Oast, Oak Cottage or the Hobbit Hole any suggestions or comments on these properties?

This is my first trip to the England and I really want to make it a very special trip!

Thanks

Illinois
Level Contributor
506 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First stop Canterbury....

This does not address your question about what to see on the way to Canterbury, but I'd consider it a "must-see" if you're going to be in that city: Canterbury Cathedral is just breathtaking, both architecturally (is that a word?) and as a place of worship. We attended a weeknight Evensong service there last summer, and were so glad that we did. The combination of the fantastic building and the singing of the choir resonating in that huge space is something I'll never forget. Don't get me wrong: it was a fairly small and intimate service, but still so moving. There are cathedral tours as well, but I can't speak to those because our timing did not allow us to take one.

We arrived at Canterbury after having visited Dover Castle, another must-see. I wish we'd had more time there, but we had to do that and Canterbury in the same day, by train. If you go to Dover Castle, check out the tunnel tour. The castle as a whole was fantastic.

Canterbury and Dover were among favorite memories of our first trip to England, so I can identify with wanting to make it special. Have a wonderful time!

Hook, Wiltshire
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First stop Canterbury....

We have just spent last weekend in Canterbury. We visited Leeds Castle on the way home (close to Maidstone on the M20).

It is a really homely castle. Catch the falconry demo and say hi to Ozzie the Owl.

If its quiet you can try the glove and he will fly to you.

Plan to spend 4-5 hours here to see everything.

Canterbury cathedral is stunning even if just for the building/architecture. I would put aside some time for just walking around the town itself.

'Canterbury tales' is fun but far too expensive (£7.50 per adult for approx 30 minutes of automated story telling).

Winston Churchill's home 'Chartwell' is also on your route from Gatwick to Canterbury. I recommend it. The house/exhibition is surprisingly modest for such a great man. Also the garden is nice. Probably a good choice in reasonable weather.