We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parking near the Cathedral

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
471 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Parking near the Cathedral

My plan is to arrive about 1:00 PM in Canterbury on a Sunday in September. Park and Ride does not operate on Sunday. I need to park my car so I can visit the Cathedral and the Center for the rest of the day. About 6 hours. I ckecked on the City's WEB but got lost. I would like to know a street address where a parking lot is located within a walking distance to the Cathedral. Also would like to know how are the parking fees charged. e.g. One gets a ticket when he enters and then pays when he exits for the time he parked ?

Thank you.

Bromley
Destination Expert
for Bruges
Level Contributor
1,084 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Parking near the Cathedral

Hi

I tend to use either the open air or multi storey car park on Castle Street, just off the ring round and about a 10 minute stroll to the cathedral.

Open air is pay and display (park, go buy ticket for how long you want to stay and put under your windscreen) I believe, the multi storey has changed to a pay on foot (barrier entry, you get a ticket. When you leave you pay at a machine for how long you have stayed and then get in your car and leave)

Below is a link to parking in the City and a link to the tariffs

http://www.canterbury.gov.uk/parking

canterbury.gov.uk/assets/parking/canterburyt…

Keep in view Sunday is the main "working" day of the cathedral, I am not sure how open to general tourism on Sundays they are.

England
Level Contributor
495 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Parking near the Cathedral

I'd suggest using

'St Radigund's short stay, Canterbury', post code is CT1 2AA - taken from web site address on previous post (thanks NWKent)

It is 'pay & display', you'll need some change for the pay machine.

There are several other car parks nearby, in essance Canterbury City centre is fairly compact so few city centre car parks are too far to walk.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
471 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Parking near the Cathedral

Thanks to NWKent and Smileyman. I just found out that the Cathedral is open from 12:30 to 2:30 and 4:30 to 5:30 on Sunday. Fortunately I was able to change my plan and will come on a Monday instead of Sunday. So I will use the Park and Ride at Wincheap.

Regards,

Tenterden, United...
Level Contributor
2,406 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Parking near the Cathedral

<So I will use the Park and Ride at Wincheap.>

Good choice. We always use the P&R, much easier than tackling the city centre.

England
Level Contributor
495 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Parking near the Cathedral

I don't always the P & R - it depends on the circumstance, and if my MIL is with me as she has a blue badge so we use the city centre car park disabled bays.

P&R is cheaper for longer visits, there is another one in Sturry Road,

for benefit of readers, P&R - park & ride, park your car on the edge of town and benefit with free bus ride to city centre bus station (and back again with your ticket). Wicheap P&R is on A28, Ashford side of Canterbury, near Morrisons & junction with A2, Sturry Road P&R is also on A28 but Margate side, not too far from McDonalds

Edited: 6:54 pm, April 23, 2010
Canterbury, United...
Destination Expert
for Canterbury
Level Contributor
3,835 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Parking near the Cathedral

Which direction you are coming from? I ask as the Wincheap P&R is only suitable for traffic coming from Ashford on the A28 or on the A2 from Dover, as you cannot exit the A2 at Wincheap coming from London (one of the main reasons for Canterbury's congestion!) If you are coming from London and you want to use Wincheap you have to tackle the ring road first, which kind of defeats the object of P&R. Coming from London, you would be better using the New Dover Road P&R by staying on the A2 until the next exit signed Canterbury & Bridge.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
471 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Parking near the Cathedral

Hello BayBoy, After checking the Google map, I see what you meant. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Actually, I will be coming from Brighton. Will it be better if I took M20 near Maidstone and then A28 @ Ashford ? The reason I chose Wincheap P&R is that I will be going back to Ashford after visiting Canterbury same day.

Thanks again..

Canterbury, United...
Destination Expert
for Canterbury
Level Contributor
3,835 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Parking near the Cathedral

If you are returning to Ashford, then you'll definitely want to use Wincheap P&R, especially on a Monday afternoon. This avoids the cars queuing at the roundabout to turn off from the ring road onto Wincheap, which can take ages during the afternoon rush hour. Fortunately there is a bus lane so the P&R bus will wizz past the worst of this.

There are tailbacks on all routes into Canterbury on a weekday morning but the worst has cleared after 9am. The M20-A249-M2-A2 is the normal route and you might be ok but you can never really tell. But you'd have to take the Rheims Way ringroad then drive down the long length of Wincheap to reach the P&R, which can get very busy.

The A28 from Ashford to Canterbury is a slightly twisty single carriageway but it's a lovely drive along the Stour Valley. Better to leave the M20 at J9 as J10 can be a nightmare. On the way there, or back, it would be worth parking up for a few mins at Chilham which is one of the prettiest little villages you'll see and there is also a lovely 1 mile detour if you take the loop through Godmersham village (signed Godmersham Church).

You could even leave the M20 at junction 8 (Leeds Castle) and take the A20/A252 joining up with the A28 at Chilham. Lenham, Charing and Chartham are other pretty villages along this route.

9. Re: Parking near the Cathedral

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:34 am, October 22, 2010