We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Canterbury Cathedral Lodge?

florida
Level Contributor
1,540 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Canterbury Cathedral Lodge?

I've read the two posts on the Lodge, but neither addresses the question I'm most concerned about, viz how "intrusive" the bells are. Clearly, when one stays next to a cathedral, one should not be surprised that there's bell-ringing. I'm wondering whether anyone can tell me how loud the bells are. I know, of course, that's a highly subjective kind of thing, but we'll be jet-lagging and would love to have a good night's sleep. I'm wondering whether anyone happens to know whether wearing earplugs would be sufficient to block the sound of the hourly (more than that?) ringing. I've heard it's a lovely and restful place to stay, but I'm thinking maybe it's not such a great idea on our very first night abroad. (We never sleep on TransAtlantic flights.) Thanks very much!

UK
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Canterbury Cathedral Lodge?

Hello,

I think I've already answered this question on a previous post.

Anyway, I would recommend the Ebury Hotel for a good night's sleep. Please, please don't go to the Abode. The reviews are absolutely awful (they claim to have the comfiest beds around, but it is right in the hight street and is incredibly noisy.)

Anyway back to the Ebury. The hotel is on the outskirt of town (but still within walking distance) and has free parking, lovely peaceful gardens and and indoor pool.

The food there is fantastic, check out the reviews.

Enjoy your trip.

florida
Level Contributor
1,540 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Canterbury Cathedral Lodge?

Update: In fact, we stayed at Canterbury Cathedral Lodge. Absolutely perfect for what we were looking for-- small and unfancy rooms and bathrooms, but totally quiet and great views and right there in the midst of things (yet, peaceful and quiet).

UK
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Canterbury Cathedral Lodge?

Glad to hear you enjoyed it!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
35 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Canterbury Cathedral Lodge?

We stayed at the Canturbury Lodge, and I am a light sleeper. I fell asleep in the afternoon (jet lag) and was awakened by the bells, but they were not a problem at night. Hope this answers your question.

5. Re: Canterbury Cathedral Lodge?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:17 pm, September 10, 2009