We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accomodation for a week near University of kent

Dubai
Level Contributor
34 posts
102 reviews
Save Topic
Accomodation for a week near University of kent

Hi ,

My family intends to travel to Kent to admit our daughter to the University of Kent in Sept .. I was hoping that some one can recommend a "4 star" type property where we can stay for 7/10 days , and which is within 15/20 mins walking distance from the university ..

Dates are 20th Sept till 30th Sept 2013..

Also is it practical to commute daily between London and the University campus during this period ?

Comments /advice welcome

Rolling Stone

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
47,027 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Accomodation for a week near University of kent

I don't think there is an hotel quite that close. The main University campus is about 2 miles from the city. I stayed there myself last September.

Canterbury has many hotels in the city centre, with buses up the hill from the city to the Campus every 10 minutes or so. You can walk, but it is two miles and mostly up a very long hill and it will probably be raining. The bus is fairly cheap - you can get a daily ticket from the bus driver or weekly ticket at the bus station for unlimited travel.

You can commute from London to Canterbury, plenty of people do so in the reverse direction. The high speed train from London St Pancras makes the journey in about an hour, the slower trains from London Victoria or Charing Cross in about 90 minutes. Which station would be most convenient will depend on where you would be staying in London.

But it would be expensive. A weekly ticket for the high speed train is £144,20 plus the cost of getting to and from the station at each end, for the slower trains it is about £120. You need to provide a passport sized photo for ticket ID.

I shall be in Canterbury myself the week before that. Book up your hotel soon as they are all very busy.

Edited: 6:58 am, March 24, 2013
Canterbury, United...
Destination Expert
for Canterbury
Level Contributor
3,610 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Accomodation for a week near University of kent

Hi Rolling Stone, I will assume you mean the Canterbury campus, as the University of Kent now has a second campus in Chatham.

How are you arriving in Canterbury - are you bringing a car? Thinking about if you need somewhere with parking or easy access to the A2 for commuting by road to London.

I think the nearest B&B would be "The City of Canterbury" on St Thomas's Hill, this is directly opposite one of the main campus entrances.

If you'd like something more central but still within walking 15-20 mins walking distance you might like to look at accommodation in the St Dunstans area (along or off Whitstable Road, St Dunstan's Street or London Road). There are regular buses to the campus if you don't want to walk up the big hill too often.

If you want to commute to London by train then the Falstaff Hotel and the House of Agnes on St Dunstan's Street are just a 2-3 minute walk from Canterbury West train station which has the fast trains between Canterbury and London (they depart hourly and take 1 hour). I think the Falstaff Hotel is the nearest hotel (the rest being B&B accommdation).

kent
Destination Expert
for Kent, Solo Travel
Level Contributor
12,377 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Accomodation for a week near University of kent

Do you know which campus your daughter is staying in. There are 2 uni's in Kent. The University of Kent and Christ Church University Canterbury. Knowing which campus your daughter is based will help to identify where your hotel options could be.

4. Re: Accomodation for a week near University of kent

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, March 26, 2014