We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Will Eynsford be the same?

Sydney NSW
Level Contributor
324 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Will Eynsford be the same?

Born bred and educated in Bromley, lived in Australia the past 40+ years. I'm wondering if my childhood memories will be shattered.

I'm returning for a biennial visit focusing on places north but deciding on spending a couple of days in Kent before ending up staying with a Cotswolds based cousin. I really want to visit Eynsford but wonder if I would be disappointed actually staying there. I'm considering Tabsfield for 2 nights.

Eynsford fits nicely with easy M20/M25 to shoot across to Gloucestershire. It also fits well with wanting to visit places such as Sissinghurst, Tun Wells, Chartwell, Hever, Knole, perhaps Leeds and Scotney (we are NT members so can take advantage). I've taken my Australian husband to all points north south, east, west in England (well almost), but we haven't really 'seen' anything of Kent.

Is Eynsford still the quaint village with the humpy back bridge (I know that's still there) where the ducks can be fed in water that has a tendency to flooding?

What else is in the village, like pubs, cafes other places to eat?

Should I rethink and perhaps consider another village to base ourselves for the 2 nights? We do like quiet, peaceful and out of the mainstream.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
44,887 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Will Eynsford be the same?

Ages since I've been to Eynsford but I recall it as a nice place . I lived in Sevenoaks for many years, then Tonbridge, so know the area fairly well.

It's now a prosperous commuter village, with the busy trains at the little station taking people to and from their jobs in London and elsewhere.

It has escaped the dreary suburban bedroom type developments unfortunately so commonplace in much of Kent and is still pretty much a village surrounded by open countryside, with pubs and local shops.

There's the excellent Roman villa site and museum at nearby Lullingstone for a visit, also the Lullingstone Castle and gardens.

I don't think you will be disappointed but let's hope that others reading this will come in with an opinion. In the meantime you will find this website useful, especially the picture on the home page, despite the fact that much of it has not been updated in four years :

http://www.eynsfordpc.kentparishes.gov.uk/

Enjoy your visit.

PS Take the train to Bromley if you have time and prepare for a shock!

Sydney NSW
Level Contributor
324 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Will Eynsford be the same?

Thanks cubsur. LOL don't think I'll be taking a train to Bromley. I had a trip down memory lane when visiting alone in 2005 and drove to my old high school, but didn't go anywhere near the town.

I remember visiting Lullingstone Castle as a child, but don't remember anything about it. Perhaps I will recognise it when we are there. I forgot to list it - it's so close we can hardly miss a visit.

Thanks for the website - that's probably about the period when I visited as a child!!!!

I'm not locked in to Eynsford, pure sentimentality takes me there.

England, United...
Level Contributor
3,575 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Will Eynsford be the same?

Eynsford is still very pretty with a village feel. The bridge, the ford and the ducks are still there and there is a popular pub, The Plough, right by the river.

From there you can walk to Lullingstone Villa and Castle if you're feeling energetic, or just amble up the lane a little to see pleasing old cottages and beautiful countryside.

4. Re: Will Eynsford be the same?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 2:18 pm, October 10, 2012
Sydney NSW
Level Contributor
324 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Will Eynsford be the same?

For the convenience of the location I still think Eynsford would be a good place to stay for the couple of days we have. I was trying to gauge whether we should consider any other villages really. I would still visit Eynsford.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,334 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Will Eynsford be the same?

Eynsford has four pubs: the Plough near the ford and the Malt Shovel, the Castle and the Five Bells along the High Street. There is very little distance between the latter two. Tabsfield appears to be located between Eynsford and Farningham, which has three pubs: the Lion, the Chequers, and the Pied Bull, which is a former coaching inn - the main street in Farningham is part of the original main road from London to Dover. The river Darent flows through both villages.

When will you be in Eynsford? You could join in with torchlight carol singing on the grass by the river if there on 21 December, or watch and even participate in activities - including a duck race! - to mark the start of summer if there on 1 May.

Incidentally, you won't need the M20 at all for your journey to Gloucestershire, as the nearest junction for the M20 to Eynsford is at Swanley and it is also junction 3 of the M25.

Sydney NSW
Level Contributor
324 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Will Eynsford be the same?

Thanks Myrtle Villa - we will be in Kent a bit later, probably mid May. I'm sure May Day would be lovely there. Thanks for the heads up on the pubs - we will be spoilt for choice. A pity we have no more than 2 nights and one will be catching up with a Kentish cousin. Ah now I look more closely I see it's the A20 we will take to get on the good old M25. I'll have my trust AA road atlas which has never let us down yet. GPS around the country lanes can result in some hilarious routes.

8. Re: Will Eynsford be the same?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:18 pm, December 15, 2013