We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Biddenden,Kent, England

Waterloo, Iowa
3 posts
Save Topic
Biddenden,Kent, England

My sister and I will be traveling to England. We will spend time in London. Then I want to go to Kent, England. I specifically want to spend time in Biddenden. What is the best way to get there. Is there a bus route that goes there. Where does that route originate? I have read that at one time there was a route from Ashford to Biddenden. Thank you.

Canterbury, United...
Destination Expert
for Canterbury
Level Contributor
3,610 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Biddenden,Kent, England

Hi, I have found the timetable for the Ashford-Biddenden bus operated by Stagecoach but there are only 4 per day, and none at weekends

stagecoachbus.com/PdfUploads/Timetable_22850…

There is a more regular bus run by Arriva from Maidstone to Tenterden calling at Biddenden, which is more-or-less one per hour

www.arrivabus.co.uk/serviceInformation.aspx…

You can get a train from London to Headcorn, which is the nearest rail station, and pick up this bus from there. Or maybe just get a taxi from Headcorn, but I'm not sure of the availability there.

Edited: 11:34 am, April 27, 2012
Tenterden, United...
Level Contributor
2,327 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Biddenden,Kent, England

Hi neadpr and welcome.

I live on the outskirts of Biddenden.

I assume you are lookimg for just a day trip. If so then I am not sure if you are aware that Biddenden is quite a small village with a pub, a couple of restaurants that are not always open, a tea room and a village shop. I would avoid Sundays, Mondays and Tuesdays as other than the pub they seem to be closed.

The route via Ashford would necessitate a train from London, then two buses to get to Biddenden. It would be better If you catch a train to Headcorn then take the number 12 bus from there directly to Biddenden, but they are not very frequent so you may need to time your train journey to fit.

arrivabus.co.uk/uploadedfiles/Services/South…

Or there is a taxi office at Headcorn Station so you could take a taxi.

http://www.maidstonetaxicompany.co.uk/

In Biddenden:

Restaurants

www.yemaydes.com

www.thewesthouserestaurant.co.uk

The Red Lion Pub

tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g503896-…

Claris's Tea Room

tea-room-guide.org.uk/#/clariss/4537092698

Edited: 12:01 pm, April 27, 2012
Tenterden, United...
Level Contributor
2,327 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Biddenden,Kent, England

Snap bayboy you beat me to it.

Waterloo, Iowa
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Biddenden,Kent, England

Thanks for the information. I know that Biddenden is quite small. Perhaps we should rent a car and drive there. We are just wanting to visit the place where our ancestors were born.

Tenterden, United...
Level Contributor
2,327 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Biddenden,Kent, England

You could hire a car, perhaps avoiding the London Congestion Charge by hiring maybe somewhere south of the River Thames. Someone else may be able to help with this as my knowledge of London is very limited these days. It has been many years since I lived and worked there.

Another option is to take the train to Ashford International then hire a car from there for the day (note: hire companies are all closed on Sundays). I know Enterprise has an office in Ashford and they will meet you at the station. Avis also have an office at the station.

You would then be able to have a look at other places in the area.

Tenterden is a very nice small town and is about 10 minute drive from Biddenden. Also Cranbrook and Goudhurst. Sissinghurst Castle (for the gardens as it is not really a castle) is around 5 minutes from Biddenden as is Biddenden Vineyard who make excellent local wines and ciders.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,334 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Biddenden,Kent, England

I'm inclined to think train to Headcorn to pick up the Maidstone to Tenterden bus service is likely to be your best option even though you will need to watch the timetables carefully. You will need to compare cost of public transport against car hire carefully and you might wonder if there is any point in car hire at all if you travel a long distance from central London before starting to use it. The CC zone ends at Tower Bridge in the east and then runs through to Elephant and Castle and on towards Vauxhall in the south so in terms of your journey overall, it does not cover a particularly vast amount of the ground that you wish to cover.

East Sussex, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
5,318 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Biddenden,Kent, England

I'd keep it simple - get the fast train to Ashford from st pancras and hire a car there. That way, once you've seen the village you can check out the other excellent suggestions made - to which I would add Bodiam Castle, a real must see if in the area.

Mike

kent
Destination Expert
for Kent, Solo Travel
Level Contributor
12,377 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Biddenden,Kent, England

If you decide to hire a car, you might want to see Biddenden Vineyard, it's about a mile away from the village, and runs a free tour most days.

Only yesturday, some one recommended the West House restaurant to me. Food is said to be outstanding, and you may not need to book for lunch, but probably would need to book for dinner.

Essex
Level Contributor
27,478 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Biddenden,Kent, England

One of the best pubs in Kent - IMO - is in/near Biddenden

http://thethreechimneys.co.uk/

It has been qute some years since I have been there though, perhaps marg001 can give you a more recent opinion of what it is like.

Surprised she did not mention it in her post #2!

Tenterden, United...
Level Contributor
2,327 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Biddenden,Kent, England

You are right EW forgot about Three Chimneys. Haven't been there myself for quite a while but they are a little way out of Biddenden and was not sure initially if the OP was driving. If we do go out we tend to drive to The Bull in Benenden as DIL works there as they are a really good free house with good food.