We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cash or debit cards?

Waterlooville...
Level Contributor
208 posts
255 reviews
Save Topic
Cash or debit cards?

Sorry if this seems a daft question but I noticed on a Isles of Scilly Tourist Information site that cash is preferred rather than Switch/Debit Cards and access to cash machines is limited.

Is this still the case as I prefer to use my debit card rather than carry lots of cash.

Many thanks in advance.

Cornwall,UK
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
Level Contributor
3,487 posts
314 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cash or debit cards?

I have never had any problems using credit/debit cards on any of the islands. Obviously some of the tiny places on the off islands won't have card facilities but most do. You will need cash for your boat trips,and there are certainly cash machines on St Marys and Tresco.

Camborne, United...
Level Contributor
40 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cash or debit cards?

It doesn't do any harm to keep your cash topped up as there can be a long queue at the only ATM on St Mary's especially around 9.30am as people are on their way to the tripper boats. On very busy weekends we have known it to run out of cash and not be refilled until Monday am. We have also used the cash back facility in the Co-Op and I believe you can withdraw cash at the Post Office. Cards are certainly accepted in most places but we also prefer to carry some cash as well.

Chepstow, United...
Level Contributor
565 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cash or debit cards?

Posting this from our S/C accomodation in Hugh Town, St Marys on Wednesday 27th June...

The ATM at Lloyds TSB just across the road has given up the ghost. It had a note stuck on it on Saturday morning (23rd) to say it was 'Out of Order' and would remain so until engineer arrived to repair it on Tuesday (26th). The foggy weather over the last few days has meant that flights to Scilly (both the helicopter and airbus planes) have been cancelled. The engineer has not yet appeared. It seems they won't send him across on the Scillonian - maybe he gets seasick? The note on the ATM now says Thursday (28th).

The Barclays Bank here will only give out cash to those who have a Barclays Bank account.

You can withdraw cash from your bank account at the Post Office - But NOT if you bank with HSBC.

The Co-op in Hugh Town gives cash back* but has limited funds and has been restricting how much they'll give to individual customers.

*I've been told that some of the other shops will also do this but I haven't found out which ones they are.

The moral of my post is "Be prepared"!

Cornwall,UK
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
Level Contributor
3,487 posts
314 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cash or debit cards?

Oh no, hope you don't run out of money! Thank goodness for credit cards.

Waterlooville...
Level Contributor
208 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cash or debit cards?

Many thanks Blorengia. Be prepared will be our approach and I will take more cash than usual.

Any other locations to get cash back would be good.

6. Re: Cash or debit cards?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, June 29, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Isles of Scilly