We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

LHR to IOW - with 2 mountainbikes

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
12 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
LHR to IOW - with 2 mountainbikes

I see there are many posts about how to get from LHR to the IOW - but does anyone know about taking bikes? Given that we have been living in Copenhagen and taking bikes is de rigeur on public trains etc does anyone know the situation in the UK? I am sure even a taxi might have a fit if we turned up with 2 bikes unless pre-arranged!! We will be hiring a camper for the IOW.

Thanks

Southampton
Level Contributor
4,876 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: LHR to IOW - with 2 mountainbikes

South west trains (for the Waterloo to Portsmouth route) take bicycles. There is a picture of a bike painted on the carriage door where the bike storage is. I think you might need to reserve a space in advance. Same for the ferry (which is Wightlink on that route).

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
12 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: LHR to IOW - with 2 mountainbikes

thats positive - what about getting bikes to Waterloo from Heathrow then?

Isle Of Wight
Destination Expert
for Isle of Wight, Sitges
Level Contributor
4,732 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: LHR to IOW - with 2 mountainbikes

Thank you for asking.

The problem is Heathrow to Waterloo. Railair bus might take packaged cycles for an extra fee.- LHR to Woking. There you would connect to SW Train to Portsmouth. www.nationalexpress.com, but you would need to verify this as the website seems rather vague. Perhaps you could even travel on Natonal Express from LHR to Portsmouth.

Maybe a prebooked car/van from LHR to Portsmouth would work. We always use www.smithsforairports.com

They have a variety of different sized vehicles, email or phone them and see what they suggest.- they are very helpful.

Let us know how you get on.

Edited: 9:53 am, April 22, 2014
Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
12 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: LHR to IOW - with 2 mountainbikes

It seems you are allowed 2 pieces each on the National Express and bikes are okay as long as they are packaged so other bags don't get damaged. Above that its £10 per piece. However the bus is about £72 for two and it looks like Smiths will be cheaper (and probably more convenient?).

Isle Of Wight
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,732 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: LHR to IOW - with 2 mountainbikes

Smiths are excellent, the driver will be there to meet you even if your flight is delayed.

London
Destination Expert
for London, Devon
Level Contributor
24,044 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: LHR to IOW - with 2 mountainbikes

There might be a good reason why you don't want to, but couldn't you hire bikes when you get to IOW?

Isle Of Wight
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,732 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: LHR to IOW - with 2 mountainbikes

www.wightcyclehire.co.uk Cycles are £60 each for 7 days hire.

Akkarin I've just checked with Wightlink and as I thought, cycles are still carried foc and there is no need to book. This applies to both the Cat and Car.

8. Re: LHR to IOW - with 2 mountainbikes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, April 25, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Isle of Wight