We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Isle of Wight May 2014

UK
Level Contributor
10 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Isle of Wight May 2014

Me and two friends are planning a trip 6th - 8th May 2014. We are all in our 60's and will be travelling by car from Lymington to Yarmouth. Apart from having a good laugh, we want to visit Osborne House and Carrisbrook Castle. Can any one tell me the best town to stay in to get to these places and if anyone can recommend a nice place to stay I would be grateful.

England, United...
Level Contributor
4,741 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Isle of Wight May 2014

The island is 131 miles from North to South and only 23 miles across from East to West.

Osborne House is in East Cowes while Carisbrook Castle is just outside Newport.

Yarmouth (IOW) to Newport will only take 20 minutes or so and, depending on your ferry crossing, you might be able to visit Osborne House on the day of your arrival.

www.isleofwight.co.uk

www.isleofwight.com/tourist-information.html‎

www.isleofwighttouristguide.com

www.iowbreaks.com/brochures/‎

Edited: 6:42 pm, February 10, 2014
Aylesbury
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
11,323 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Isle of Wight May 2014

I think that's is meant to say 13 miles by 23 miles lol

yes most of the resorts are ok to reach them

Edited: 10:08 am, February 11, 2014
Isle Of Wight
Destination Expert
for Isle of Wight, Sitges
Level Contributor
3,471 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Isle of Wight May 2014

To be able to give ideas on accommodation we would need to know your budget.

It really doesn't matter what part of the island you stay in, it doesn't take much more than 40 minutes to get anywhere by car.

UK
Level Contributor
10 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Isle of Wight May 2014

We are looking for bed and breakfast in a three star type of property. Ideally within walking distance of some nice restaurants. Thanks.

England
Level Contributor
3 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Isle of Wight May 2014

Check out hotels in Shanklin. There are some superb restaurants in Shanklin but read Trip advisor to see what you like. It takes about 30 minutes to Carisbrooke but you might take longer if you pass through Godshill a great place for tourists. About 45 Minutes to Osborne House again taking in Arreton Barns.

Although you might think Shanklin is a bit far away it's so nice you might get tempted to explore more locally. Best weather on Island, beautiful beach and easy to get to

Phil

Isle Of Wight
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,471 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Isle of Wight May 2014

For some reason my second reply isn't showing.

I suggest you look at Ryde - good selection of eateries. Or maybe Seaview, The Boathouse willl, I think have the standard of accommodation that you are looking for, with the bonus of a good pub restaurant on site.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
142 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Isle of Wight May 2014

We booked The Broadway Park Hotel in Sandown through Laterooms dot com, relatively cheap. We will be there on Easter weekend. I am not sure how good the hotel is, but based on the reviews here on TA, it looks okay. Breakfast included. It is a short walk to the beach, and about 25 minutes drive to Osborne House as well as to Carisbrooke Castle.

Good luck!

Aylesbury
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
11,323 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Isle of Wight May 2014

If I were staying in Sandown I would pick the Sandringham with these provisos a) a room over looking the sea and b) the top two floors which the rooms have been refurbished. The front overlooking the main road I wouldn't consider as too noisy. It has it's own car park spaces for £2 a day in a private car park, free parking outside on the front of the hotel is very crowded.

The Broadway is not really near the beach and use coach parties and I can't recall any restaurants near it at all but thay might not be your priorties

Edited: 3:41 am, April 05, 2014
Isle Of Wight
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,471 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Isle of Wight May 2014

The Broadway Park is a 15 -20 minutes walk from the Esplanade. The Summerhill Restaurant at Melville Hall Hotel (Next Door) is OK. If you have a "Tastecard" even better as you can get 50% off your food.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
142 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Isle of Wight May 2014

Initially we were going to stay in Sandringham after seeing it on a newspaper. But silly me, I couldn't find online booking for it. Then I saw and quickly decided to book Broadway Park after reading reviews which is okay and the price unexpectedly cheap for Easter weekend :)

I googled, Broadway Park to The Beach Cafe is 9 minutes walking. If it is right, walking 9 minutes is not far.

That is right, I didn't consider restaurants near the Broadway Park Hotel. We are willing to drive to find a nice place to eat, in fact we have booked a table at Fine Nammet in Shanklin which is only 8 minutes drive according to Google map.

Rawtalent thank you very much for your information, Will look into it, It is next door, one minute walking! :)

Get answers to your questions about Isle of Wight