We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

black and white trail

Which Hereford hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Blackheath...
Level Contributor
78 posts
145 reviews
Save Topic
black and white trail

My hubby and I are in England in June, we are travelling from Stratford upon Avon to Bristol and would like to visit some of the Villages on the Black and White trail, finishing in a visit to Tintern Abbey. What I would like to know is what Villages are best to visit in a day, giving us a good example of the buildings details of the time.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts and helping us make this a wonderful day.

Plymouth
Level Contributor
2,766 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: black and white trail

I've lived inEngland. all my life and, although I know at least some of the places between Stratford and Bristol via Tintern, I have never heard of the Black and White trail. Please can someone enlighten me? Even locals can learn from TA

London
Level Contributor
2,210 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: black and white trail

Here you go;

blackandwhitehouses.co.uk/blackandwhitetrail…

I wouldn't like to say which villages are better than others, but the New Inn at Pembridge is worth a visit.

Plymouth
Level Contributor
2,766 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: black and white trail

Ah now I understand, it's about architecture. Thanks. I would say head for Shrewsbury except its not on your route, for which I'm sorry but can't help. Hope you find what you're after and enjoy

Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: black and white trail

Weobley, Eardisland & Pembridge are particularly pretty. The link already posted will be give you some good ideas. My favourite is Eardisland though. The whole trail is beautiful, well worth a visit.

UK
Level Contributor
986 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: black and white trail

Weobley is the largest village with more places to eat so I would suggest drive along the trail stopping at will and then plan on having a good look around/ lunch at Weobley.

If you are planning on driving into Herefordshire from Worcester along the A44 I would recommend stopping at Brockhampton which is just before you reach Bromyard . The moated manor there is maintained how all " Black and White" buildingswould benefit and gives a more authentic view. You can also go inside the house

www.nationaltrust.org.uk/brockhampton-estate/

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
129 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: black and white trail

My guess is that you'll be all black & whited out by the time you leave Stratford. I was interested to see the B&W trail which I didn't know about - even though I know all the places mentioned very well.

Your route is very ambitous and will probably you see very little other than from the windows of your car. Tintern is a very worthwhile destination but.... a more direct route from Stratford to Bristol could take in Broadway, Chipping Camden, Moreton in the Marsh, Stow on the Wold, Upper and Lower Slaughter, Bourton on the Water. That way you would see some fantastic old buildings and a good sprinkling of tudor architecture.

Leominster, United...
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: black and white trail

There is a great guide to the Black and White Trail at www.blackandwhitetrail.org

Blackheath...
Level Contributor
78 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: black and white trail

Thanks for your help, RhiwDragon thanks for your thoughts will think about what you said, mapping it my idea was ambitious.

East Sussex, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
5,318 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: black and white trail

I'd stick with the trail. Less touristy than the Cotswolds route suggested but as beautiful.

I'll second the vote for The New Inn at Pembridge - and note that whenever you see a pub called "The New Inn" in England, it's invariably very old.

Mike

leominster...
Level Contributor
35 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: black and white trail

On the Black and White Trail I would visit Weobley and then Pembridge to visit the Bell Tower at the church and have a fabulous meal at The Steppes cafe which is in the old post office in Pembridge. And after if time a stroll down to the river. Perfect

Get answers to your questions about Hereford
Recent Conversations