We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do in Hereford?

london
2 posts
Save Topic
What to do in Hereford?

Hi,

I am planning to come to Hereford at some point this year as my family grew up there. I was wondering what was the best time for events etc?

also what are the best things to do? are there any river trips down the wye?

I am a bit clueless about the city but it looks beautiful, how long is an adaqauet ammount of time to get eveyrthing in and are there any sights that are missed out of the tourist books and fall under the radar? also any sights that are in the books but not worth seeing?

really want to make the most of my trip!

Annie

middle england
Destination Expert
for Leicestershire, Norfolk
Level Contributor
3,541 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do in Hereford?

You should try the tour of the Black and White villages of Herefordshire if you are going by car. Booklet available from tourist offices. Takes in many picture postcard villages such as Weobley and Pembridge.

UK
Level Contributor
988 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do in Hereford?

Hi Annie

Have a look at this link - it gives a good overview of whats on in Herefordshire and some surrounding areas until the end of the year on a month by month basis.

If you want more info please post again. What sights had you thought you might like to try? What are your particular interests?

Colorado, USA
Level Contributor
51 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do in Hereford?

Annie:

As an American I feel a bit silly responding to your post, so forgive me if the following is obvious or presumptuous. I was in Hereford and its environs for a couple of days in 2006, and I visited the Mappa Mundi in the Cathedral (along with the chained library), which was really interesting. I also visited two parish churches close by: Abbey Dore and Kilpeck. If you are into churches, I would definitely recommend Kikpeck; it has some fascinating and beautiful stone carving (Norman, I believe), with mythical animals and a sheela-na-gig.

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Pecs, Budapest
Level Contributor
4,725 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do in Hereford?

Definitely visit the cathedral. In addition to the chained library, there are some wonderful funeral brasses there.

Not far from Hereford is Ludlow. A wonderful town to visit. (You can get there either by car or by train.)

london
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do in Hereford?

sorry buzzer i dont think the link worked could you try posting it again? many thanks

UK
Level Contributor
988 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to do in Hereford?

Sorry Annie - not sure why the link did not post , ..

www.whitehousecottages.co.uk/what's-on.htm

UK
Level Contributor
988 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to do in Hereford?

Poe and Oddone glad you enjoyed Herefordshire

Hereford, England
Level Contributor
152 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to do in Hereford?

Hi I am from Hereford and recommend the following highlights:

1. The Cathedral, and Mappa Mundi/ Chained Library exhibition.

2. the Old House, in High Town, which is a Tudor house and is free to enter, you cant miss it as its right in the cnetre of the towns main square.

3. All Saints Church, which reporidtley has an excellent cafe, including outside pavement seating

4. A river walk from the Cathedral running a loop past left bank, Bishops Meadow and castle Green into Castle Street

If you can explore out of Hereford city I recommend the following:

Ledbury, a beuatiful market town near the Malvern Hills, interesting shops, restraunts, pubs and buuildings, from here you can explore 'British Camp' and the Malverns and enjoy amazing landscapes. British camp is literally a 5 minute drive away and as parking etc.

Boats trips on the Wye can be made at Symonds Yat, in the Wye Valley Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty.

Goodrich castle nearby is also worth exploring.

There are many beatiful village churches, a number of lcoal books highlight these in good detail making you able to decide which ones to go to, kilpeck and pembridge are 2 that initially spring to mind for reasons of historic and architectural interest. Phone the tourism office in Kings Street and ask about the book of churches in Herefordshire.

Let me know if I can help further

Herefordshire
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What to do in Hereford?

thought you might like some comments from my past visitors books

"There are several places we very much enjoyed and recommend to anyone:- Pedalabikeaway, excellent ride for all through the Forest of Dean, very well organised. Black Mountains, lovely views,Symonds Yat Rock, beautiful views, Clearwell caves, cheap, good for wet weather, Ross-on-Wye best place for gift shops, lovely little town, Pedals and Paddles,"

"Saw Symonds Yat, Forest of Dean, Hereford (Mappa Mundi a must), Hay -on-Wye."

"Raglan castle, Clearwell caves,Beechenhurst Forest of dean, Pedalabikeaway, Slimbridge Wildfowl trust, Hereford, dean forest railway. We will be back there is still so much to do."

"Pedalabikeaway a great afternoon for all 11 of us aged 1-40 something, with baby seats and trailer bikes. Goodrich Castle, Pool at Hereford and for movies.Symonds Yat, Mohair farm centre, quad pedal bikes and nature trail."

www.farrcottages.co.uk

10. Re: What to do in Hereford?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:19 am, September 12, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Hereford
Recent Conversations