We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How far? Holiday Inn to Golden Lion

wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Topic
How far? Holiday Inn to Golden Lion

Staying at hotel prior to a cruise end August.Package of 1 night's accommodation plus parking plus taxis to and from Southampton Cruise Terminal not cheap but very convenient and I much prefer staying in Winchester than Southampton.Rejected idea of dinner in hotel.But would like a good dinner on the night prior to joining the ship.Not big helpings but tasty is our mantra.

Golden Lion gets good reviews and I understand it is close by.Can we walk (safely?) or is it a taxi job? Please.

Southampton, United...
Destination Expert
for Southampton, Kalamaki, Zakynthos
Level Contributor
3,128 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How far? Holiday Inn to Golden Lion

Noticed this place just yesterday as I was dropping something off at the holiday inn. It's easy to find and about 1.5 miles from the hotel. It's literally out of the hotel to the bottom the road and then a straight walk, looked safe enough to walk to me.

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Eastleigh, Winchester
Level Contributor
4,917 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How far? Holiday Inn to Golden Lion

Unfortunately the Holiday Inn is a couple of miles out of Winchester Centre so the Golden Lion is one of your closest options http://goo.gl/maps/rVLMC

Hopefully you will get down early enough to be able to spend some time exploring Winchester and could therefore consider any of the city centre restaurants with the Golden Lion as a fallback option if you don't see anything that takes your fancy in town

wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How far? Holiday Inn to Golden Lion

Many thanks for your responses.Think I will take a taxi both ways.

wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How far? Holiday Inn to Golden Lion

Just to conclude this thread the Golden Lion is under 2 miles on a straight road from Winchester Holiday Inn.Looks a picture with all the hanging baskets and floral displays outside.Too far to walk on unlit fast road most of the way.

5. Re: How far? Holiday Inn to Golden Lion

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 pm, September 23, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Winchester
Recent Conversations