We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Southampton to Edinburgh.

Which Southampton hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from Southampton to Edinburgh.

Hi,

We are a family of 4 traveling in UK (2 adults, 2 older teenage boys) our first time driving from Southampton to Edinburgh in November, the quickest route appears to be the M6. I would like any suggestions for a halfway point to stop and have lunch and have a brief look around.

I also would like to know of any other recommended brief stops along the way as it will be a long drive.

We do plan to leave around 7am or a little earlier.

Thanks.

Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
221 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Driving from Southampton to Edinburgh.

I did this very same trip only 2 weeks back (in both directions) - & have been doing it on & off over the last 30 odd years once or twice a year.

This year was the first time I split the journey, as my husband is no longer really up to the stress of motorway driving & I knew I'd be tired. I'm 55.

It's quite do-able, but if you can do it overnight instead I'd advise that - we used to leave about 9.30/10pm, stop off in the Lakes for a couple of hours about 3/4am & then continue on to Edinburgh arriving for breakfast!

Nicest/fastest route is M3, A34, M40, M42, M6 (Toll), M6, A74(M) and then the A702 to the Edinburgh Ring Road.

If you decide to break the journey the Travelodge at the Lancaster Services on the M6 is OK on the way up, the Days Inn at Killington Lake Services on the way down.

Day time driving is about 11/12hrs (with breaks!), overnight 9/10hrs.

A

xx

PS - it is really tiring, give me 700+ miles in USA (not driven in Aus) v 400 ish here - our traffic is crazy.

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,989 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Driving from Southampton to Edinburgh.

You mention that you have looked at the A1 but its longer. Yes that's right . If all you want to do is get there then I suppose the boring M6 route is what you need. But if you want to add some interest to your journey I would head for York or Harrogate and stay overnight. Both attractive towns to visit.

Then I would take the A1 and then the A68 to Edinburgh on the following day which is a significantly more interesting drive than the motorways. Of course its not as quick but you will see a much greater variety of landscapes that just going on the motorway.

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Eastleigh, Winchester
Level Contributor
4,876 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Driving from Southampton to Edinburgh.

Tapey_13,

Out of curiosity how long are you intending to spend in Edinburgh and do you plan to tour around Scotland whilst you are there? Do you have to return to the south for flights home?

Your plan sounds a bit like someone from England visiting Sydney and asking about driving to Brisbane in a single day stopping to look at the coast only during a lunch stop.

Edited: 5:51 pm, September 12, 2013
East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
5,269 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Driving from Southampton to Edinburgh.

It only takes one incident like this to scupper your 7-9 hour drive completely.

dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2412099/Sheppey…

Accidents such as this on major roads and motorways are thankfully quite rare in the UK, but they do happen, and are most likely to occur during adverse weather conditions. In this case the cause was a sudden bank of fog, and fog is most likely to occur during the Autumn months, ie: September/October/November.

With all due respect you cannot compare driving hundreds of miles for hours on end in Australia/Usa/Canda with the road conditions you will encounter in the UK. If you want to drive as opposed to go by train or plane, it would make sense to break your journey up with an overnight stop midway.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Driving from Southampton to Edinburgh.

Hi,

Thanks to everyone for your advice.

We have taken it all on board and as we don't really have more days to spare to break the drive and stay overnight, we have decided to look into flying to Edinburgh and back, with the possibility of hiring a car while in Edinburgh to enable us to do some traveling around to Glasgow, Largs and Stirling.

We hope that the close short drives should be okay and enjoyable. We will be there for 4 nights / 5 days.

So its probably much wiser to fly and gain extra time sight-seeing instead of looking at traffic.

Cheers.

Southampton
Level Contributor
4,183 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Driving from Southampton to Edinburgh.

I don't know about Largs but it will again be easier to get to Glasgow and Stirling by train from Edinburgh. In city centres public transport is the way to go. A car ends up being an expensive ornament.

Cardiff, United...
Destination Expert
for Cardiff
Level Contributor
7,529 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Driving from Southampton to Edinburgh.

Hi Tapey_13.

You definitely don't need a car in Edinburgh itself. And probably not for going to Glasgow if you just want to go to the actual city - that's a quick and easy hop on the train and much easier to get around in the city by public transport.

You can get to Stirling by train, if you just want to see the sights in Stirling, however that's a day you might get a car for if you want to see things on the way, there are lots of nice drives in and around the area.

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Eastleigh, Winchester
Level Contributor
4,876 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Driving from Southampton to Edinburgh.

It would be best to ask for advice about driving and trains in Scotland on the Edinburgh, Stirling and Largs forums - not that many Scots follow the Southampton forum and vice versa.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowForum-g186525-i108-Edi…

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowForum-g191266-i1866-St…

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowForum-g551771-i28954-L…

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,091 posts
Save Reply
29. Re: Driving from Southampton to Edinburgh.

< we have decided to look into flying to Edinburgh and back >

The sleeper train I mentioned earlier goes as far north as Inverness, therefore depending on your plans you could travel up overnight by train then do a linear journey by car to Edinburgh / Glasgow before returning to Southampton either the same way or by air.

But as others have pointed out, there's nothing you've mentioned that really requires a car - Largs might be easier by car but it's not an essential especially if you based yourself in Glasgow rather than Edinburgh.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,728 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Driving from Southampton to Edinburgh.

There are some fine drives around Largs, but, as said, it is a 40-minute train ride from Glasgow.

If you stay in Glasgow, and want to see some great scenery, hire a car and drive west from Glasgow, around the coast to Largs. Return the same way, or take a ferry from Gourock to Dunoon, and return via the Cowal Peninsula and south along the banks of Loch Lomond. Stunning.

Get answers to your questions about Southampton