We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Southampton to Edinburgh.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from Southampton to Edinburgh.

Hi,

We are a family of 4 traveling in UK (2 adults, 2 older teenage boys) our first time driving from Southampton to Edinburgh in November, the quickest route appears to be the M6. I would like any suggestions for a halfway point to stop and have lunch and have a brief look around.

I also would like to know of any other recommended brief stops along the way as it will be a long drive.

We do plan to leave around 7am or a little earlier.

Thanks.

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
4,701 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Southampton to Edinburgh.

Depending when you get near Birmingham, consider using the toll road, especially at rush hour. I recall it costs £5 but it's worth it.

Where to stop? It's mainly services, but towns might be Oxford, Stoke on Trent, Kendal, Penrith, Gretna and Moffatt. Lunch in a pub near Trentham near Stoke on Trent perhaps

Tebay services are nice

http://motorwayservicesonline.co.uk/Tebay

The A1 offers easier stopping, being less motorway.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,568 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Southampton to Edinburgh.

< We do plan to leave around 7am or a little earlier. >

Or as it's known around here - before sunrise - and arriving after sunset in Edinburgh

timeanddate.com/worldclock/astronomy.html…

timeanddate.com/worldclock/astronomy.html…

Is there a reason why you chose to drive as a car in Edinburgh is as much use as a rubber crutch - worst in fact as you will be accruing hire & parking charges

You are also probably looking at at least £80 in petrol costs - probably more as you'll be refuelling at expensive motorway service stations

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Southampton to Edinburgh.

I would seriously consider breaking the journey with a night's stop somewhere, this is 9 hours solid driving, add loo breaks and food stops and you are looking at 10/11 hours, a lot of it in the dark. why not leave a bit later to avoid Birmingham rush hour, have a break in Lancashire or the lakes and enjoy some of the scenery from there northwards the next day

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
20,039 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Southampton to Edinburgh.

Why not fly from Southampton to Edinburgh?

There is a flight at around 12.15 which would be perfect for you (I'm guessing you are coming off a cruise? In which case do you really want to be up at the crack of sparrowfart sorting out a car hire?) and get you to Edinburgh around 14.15 - you would be in the City by 3pm.

www.flybe.com

Edited: 4:38 am, September 12, 2013
Cardiff, United...
Destination Expert
for Cardiff
Level Contributor
7,816 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from Southampton to Edinburgh.

Urgh, that's a pretty horrible drive to inflict on yourself. I wouldn't consider doing all that way in one day. Break it into two or even three days or fly.

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from Southampton to Edinburgh.

If off a cruise I would definitely re think, it may not affect you but I know from experience that, although never sea sick, I am land sick for 48 hours after a cruise. It is not pleasant. and could affect anyone in your party.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving from Southampton to Edinburgh.

Thanks for your all your advice and ideas.

No we are not coming off a cruise, we are staying with relatives in Southampton and this was the most suitable time to visit Scotland.

I do understand it is a lot of driving, nothing new to us as Aussies, we often drive interstate for the same travel time. I did look at the A1, but according to maps it will take an additional hour? But if you think it would be better I'm open to it.

Are there amenities along the highway to stop at if needed?

The car hire has already been arranged to pick up 2 days earlier, as has our accommodation in Edinburgh with free car parking. We plan leaving the car at our accommodation and using the buses or walking while in Edinburgh.

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Eastleigh, Winchester
Level Contributor
4,900 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving from Southampton to Edinburgh.

One-way car hire charges will add to your costs, flying is the quickest and least stressful way.

For November FlyBe is showing flights from £43.99 pp (+luggage £15/bag) www.flybe.com

You could also consider train with a single change in Birmingham or there is even a direct Southampton-Edinburgh coach service but that takes 12.5 hours and may not work out cheaper than flying,

Cardiff, United...
Destination Expert
for Cardiff
Level Contributor
7,816 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving from Southampton to Edinburgh.

"I do understand it is a lot of driving, nothing new to us as Aussies, we often drive interstate for the same travel time."

This drive will be nothing like that.

"The car hire has already been arranged to pick up 2 days earlier, as has our accommodation in Edinburgh with free car parking. We plan leaving the car at our accommodation and using the buses or walking while in Edinburgh."

If you can then you should cancel the car hire (or at least this part of it). You don't need the car in Edinburgh and there are much easier, probably cheaper and definitely less stressful ways of getting there.

Cardiff, United...
Destination Expert
for Cardiff
Level Contributor
7,816 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving from Southampton to Edinburgh.

Just for clarity, I've happily done drives of this length of time in the US and Canada, and believe that Australia is the same where you can just get on an interstate and chug along for hours on end happy and relaxed. I would not even consider trying to drive that far in one day on UK roads.

Get answers to your questions about Southampton