We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Private Tour from Southampton for Cruise Passengers

Which Southampton hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
CALIFORNIA
Level Contributor
9 posts
467 reviews
Save Topic
Private Tour from Southampton for Cruise Passengers

I will be arriving in Southampton on a cruise ship. We will be in port from 10:00 to 23:00 and a group of us (8 to 16 people) want a private tour for the day.

We are looking for the better private tour companies but none are listed under activities on Trip Advisor for Southampton.

We would appreciate any advice on a recommended private tour company with a good reputation and reasonable prices.

Thank you.

Southampton, United...
Destination Expert
for Southampton, Kalamaki, Zakynthos
Level Contributor
3,060 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Private Tour from Southampton for Cruise Passengers

For some reason this question is often asked on the London forum where you will find some information from companies likes this one

luxuryvacationsuk.com/day-tours-from-london/…

UK
Destination Expert
for Chester
Level Contributor
3,662 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Private Tour from Southampton for Cruise Passengers

"for some reason this question is often asked on the London ;forum"

That is because literature aimed at US cruise market more often than not implies that Southampton is the port for London.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
19,442 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Private Tour from Southampton for Cruise Passengers

Yes and the Port of Tilbury is even more shameless; they advertise their passenger facility as LONDON Cruise Terminal!

CALIFORNIA
Level Contributor
9 posts
467 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Private Tour from Southampton for Cruise Passengers

Thanks for the suggestion. I could not find this company rated in Trip Advisor either and I'm always very reluctant to use a company without ratings.

It seems strange that there are no tour companies rated in Trip Advisor for Southampton given the number of cruise ships going there.

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London
Level Contributor
6,821 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Private Tour from Southampton for Cruise Passengers

I'd also post this on cruisecritic.com, under the roll calls section, or the ports of call section.

CALIFORNIA
Level Contributor
9 posts
467 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Private Tour from Southampton for Cruise Passengers

Good idea about Cruise Critic. I use it often.

Surrey UK
Level Contributor
1,437 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Private Tour from Southampton for Cruise Passengers

I found a recommendation on cruisecritic for this firm

http://taranistravel.co.uk/

They're based in Salisbury which is just over 20 miles from Southampton and close to Stonehenge.

Alternatively, there seem to various others offering a tour service if you try entering "private tour Southampton" or "private hire Southampton" into a search engine. This company says they have had positive reviews on both TA and cruisecritic

http://www.djcprivatehire.co.uk/tours.php

I haven't checked and have no personal experience but, for the OP, it may be worth doing some further research.

CALIFORNIA
Level Contributor
9 posts
467 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Private Tour from Southampton for Cruise Passengers

Appreciate the links to the 2 companies and other info to search. I will use this helpful info to do further research.

daytona beach
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Private Tour from Southampton for Cruise Passengers

We arrived on a Celebrity cruise in Southampton in May 2013. We wanted a private car to take us to our hotel in London. On cruise critin we found a review for LIONHEART TRAVEL". We emailed Richard Wray at daysout@lionhearttravel.co.uk to arrange for a car. Richard responded almost immediately with an offer to take us in one of his two cars, a Mercedes and/or a Jaguar. He noticed that we were going to a hotel in London and noted that he would offer to take us sightseeing to anywhere we wanted to go so that we would arrive at our hotel near check-in tiem at 2pm at no additional cost. Richard was waiting for us at the cruise terminal when we got off the ship. He helped put our bags in his car and asked us what we wanted to see. We said we wanted to see the UK countryside enroute to london. Richard drove the backroads showing us small villages with thatched roofs etc. He said he often shows people London or Winchester Cathedral or helps in finding relatives villages. Richard was the ultimate English Gentleman and a professional with loads of knowledge of the UK. He also said he often tours with people who have just a day in Southampton while going back to back. I would highly recommend Lionheart travel and Richard Wray. His web site is www.lionhearttravel.co.uk.

CALIFORNIA
Level Contributor
9 posts
467 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Private Tour from Southampton for Cruise Passengers

Thanks for the info about Lionheart Travel. He sounds like a wonderful gentleman.

Get answers to your questions about Southampton