We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

transportation

Which Southampton hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Barnsley
Level Contributor
66 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
transportation

Hi,

Transportation from Queen Mary 2 Docks To Sheffield,

what are my options keeping cost down and no hassle (oap) 2 large cases.

Thanks Barry

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
18,866 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: transportation

Go by coach. There is a direct National Express coach from Southampton Coach Station to Sheffield every day at 11.00, arriving in Sheffield at 19.35.

There are also several departures to London Victoria from where you could catch a connecting coach to Sheffield. You would need to transfer from Arrivals to Departures at Victoria; they are 200 metres apart and there are usually Porters available.

www.nationalexpress.com/coach/index.cfm

Barnsley
Level Contributor
66 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: transportation

I thank you very much for your reply, i will look into the options.

Regards

Barry

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Eastleigh, Winchester
Level Contributor
4,865 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: transportation

The coach journey takes 8 1/2 hours while there is as direct train Sheffied to/from Southampton every 2 hours which takes 4 hours.

Advance purchase fares are similar.

…nationalrail.co.uk/service/…dep

Edited: 11:30 am, January 09, 2012
Barnsley
Level Contributor
66 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: transportation

thank you, that sounds better the coach, i didn't think there would be a direct train

Regards

Barry

England, United...
Level Contributor
1,134 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: transportation

Fares are £25.00 for the train if you book in advance. Tickets go on sale c12 weeks before travel date (currently selling up to 1st April) and are quota limited, so book as soon as you can. These are 'Advance' tickets and are only valid on the train booked. I suggest you reserve 'table' seats to give you more room. You may also want to take some food and drink with you as these are limited on the Cross Country services.

Barnsley
Level Contributor
66 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: transportation

It gets better, the only problem which is not really a problem is we don't know in what order we will be allowed off QM2 its all done in a section by section. i would have to inquire and also remember how long it took us last time.

I could book a late train and that would give us plenty of eating time.

Thanks to everybody

Barry

Quainton, United...
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
7,797 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: transportation

There's also a huge queue for taxis, everyone wants one! So plan to have a meal or something, then travel on late morning. A train will be so much more spacious, comfortable and scenic than a motorway coach.

8. Re: transportation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:22 am, March 01, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Southampton