We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just 4 nts in SE England - Where would you visit?

Which Southampton hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Aurora, IL, USA
Level Contributor
202 posts
151 reviews
Save Topic
Just 4 nts in SE England - Where would you visit?

We have just 4 nts starting in Southampton. Would like to see as much of SE England as possible. We enjoy history, seacoast, literature, and small hotels with restaurants and lounges. Would appreciate any recommendations on a route and places to stay and eat along the way. We are thinking of seeing Portsmouth 1st day, Arundel-Brighton 2nd day, Rye-Hastings-Dover(-Sandwich) 3rd day, and Canterbury last day. Any thoughts on highlights and places to stay would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
624 posts
791 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Just 4 nts in SE England - Where would you visit?

Do try to have a look at Beachy Head its brilliant.

Aurora, IL, USA
Level Contributor
202 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Just 4 nts in SE England - Where would you visit?

I just want to thank everyone who responded to my original posting about places to see and things to do in SE England (primarily Sussex). We had a great time in our 4 days (post-cruise, couldn't stay any longer), and I thought I'd report back to you on what we did.

Mon - Arrived Southampton. Took Red Funnel Ferry to Isle of Wight. Went to Osborne House and lunched at the Terrace Restaurant there. The House was very interesting, lots of great Victorian history, beautiful gardens and grounds, nice gift shop. Lunch was excellent, very good quality food and prep, small menu but nice stuff. Drove to Shanklin. Stayed cliffside at Luccombe Manor Country House Hotel. The seaview rooms are great and the overall facility is very nice. Dinner at The Crab was good with a lively pub/restaurant atmosphere, easy walking from hotel.

Tue - Took Red Funnel back to Southampton. Went to Portsmouth Harbor. Excellent recommendation, especially for history buffs as we are including British naval history. HMS Warrior was beautiful and very interesting. We didn't know you have to book a tour on HMS Victory and they were booked up so we could just walk around. We toured the other museums and gift shop there, had good pub grub for lunch right near by. Drove to Chichester, stayed city centre at The Vestry. Very nice place, ate at Zizzi which was very good, Chichester Cathedral was nice.

Wed - Arundel and Arundel Castle - great castle to visit, very glad we did. Drove through Brighton along coast, enjoyed seeing this classic resort area and saw the pier but didn't stop to visit it. Lunch at Badger's Watch oceanfront just east of Brighton - very good! Drove through Hastings to Battle and toured the Battle of Hastings site. Another very interesting historic place to visit, well worth the stop. Continued on to Rye. Stayed at River Haven Hotel, which was convenient and comfortable, but inside was very American motel-like, so no atmosphere. Walked 10 minutes into old Rye to have a drink at the Mermaid. Liked it so much we stayed for dinner and had a really good time. Talked with the Irish bartender, and tried some Sussex-brewed beer which was very good.

Thu - Drove to Dover to see the Castle and White Cliffs from the pier (was it Neptune Pier, I forget). Got to Canterbury for lunch. Loved the Cathedral and the town around it, great for walking, pub-hopping, etc. Toured the Cathedral, attended Evensong, drinks at Michael Caine's Abode Restaurant/Bar, very good dinner at Prezzo, walked back to Cathedral Lodge on Cathedral grounds where we were staying.

Fri - Had to get to Heathrow by 1pm for flight so just walked around Canterbury a little more. While shuttling bags to our carpark 10 mins away going back and forth I happened to miss walking by the Archbishop of Canterbury as he was walking into our hotel to have coffee. Oh, well, At least my brother-in-law got to see him. Drove to Heathrow, flew back to Chicago, saw spectacular scenery flying over Greenland.

So, that was our 4 days. Shanklin (Wight), Portsmouth, Chichester, Arundel, Brighton, Hastings, Battle, Dover, and Canterbury. There is much more we missed -- hope we can do a return and longer trip someday.

Thanks again for all your suggestions. We read them and tried to get as much in as we could. The weather was near perfect, too.

Happy travels to everyone!

Southampton, United...
Destination Expert
for Southampton, Kalamaki, Zakynthos
Level Contributor
3,060 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Just 4 nts in SE England - Where would you visit?

/wow you sure managed to pack a lot in for a short stay and so good to hear your enjoyed it. You visited some of my favourite places. We went to Rye last summer and loved it too...so quaint. Do hope you manage another trip sometime to see the places you missed :)

England, United...
Level Contributor
3,631 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Just 4 nts in SE England - Where would you visit?

Thanks for posting. Glad you liked Battle - so much history in such a small and pretty place. You certainly saw a lot in your short stay - even if not the Archbishop of Canterbury :)

Williamsburg...
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
6,817 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Just 4 nts in SE England - Where would you visit?

Sounds like a great few days! My DD lives in England, and sent me a postcard from Arundel, where they visited the castle recently. I've been to Canterbury, but I want to go back and also go to Dover. My next trip's in May next year, so maybe I'll get to do that! Thanks for sharing your trip report!

East Sussex, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
5,318 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Just 4 nts in SE England - Where would you visit?

Thanks for taking the time to tell us how it went.

Glad that you enjoyed Portsmouth, I think it's under-rated as a destination. Hope you'll be back to Rye one day. Room 1 is the one to stay in at "The Mermaid".

Mike

17. Re: Just 4 nts in SE England - Where would you visit?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, October 30, 2012