We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help from local residents about actvities in the area!!

Which Southampton hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
california girl
Level Contributor
106 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Need help from local residents about actvities in the area!!

Hello everyone,

I posted a while ago about our 1 month stay in Southampton for my husbands work and about choosing between Whitely and Shirley for our rental. Thank you all so much for your incredible help!!

Unfortunately even though we chose Shirley the house got sold and we now have to move to Whiteley. Can anyone help me with some activities for kids(mine are 7 & 4)in the area. I dont mind driving a bit.

Are there any places where my son can play a soccer(or rather a football) game. He's a big fan!!

I found a couple of horseriding places where they have classes for kids but any other suggestions...?

Anyone know of any working farms where maybe the kids(and I) can volunteer to help around. I remember reading about it somewhere and think it might be a good experience for the kids.

Please help, I feel like they'll go crazy if they have to sit at home all day and just watch TV.

Thanks!!!!!

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,634 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help from local residents about actvities in the area!!

www.allaboutgoingout.com/results_page.php…

Some suggestions for farms there. Also try www.yell.com

Probably worth you contacting the local newspaper and sending your request there.

Southampton
Level Contributor
4,054 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help from local residents about actvities in the area!!

I don't know much about Whieley specifically (I don't know anyone who lives there so I never go there) but I can tell you about Southampton and surrounds.

First of all farms - I've never heard of a farm allowing volunteers. They are businesses rather than tourist attractions. Some times in the spring places have "Feed the lambs" open days, where you can bottle feed the orphaned lambs. But that is March/April time. Perhaps if you were staying in a farm house B&B or rented cottage on their land? But generally you can't turn up at a farm and expect to volunteer. Right about now is "pick your own" time where some fruit farms are open for picking. It's mostly strawberries and raspberries. You take a basket and fill it, then it is weighed when you leave and you pay for what you have picked.

You don't say when you are going to be here, but for an abundance of farm animals you can't beat the New Forest show. 28th-30th July. Near Brockenhurst, follow the traffic jam.

http://www.newforestshow.co.uk/

It you want to see animals you can go to the New Forest. This is a National Park only a few minutes away and it's full of semi-wild animals (they are free and ranging but they do have owners). Most of them will be standing in the middle of the road so you can't miss them (just don't run them over). The self-styled "Capital of the New Forest" is Lyndhurst, and it's very pretty and full of many speciality shops. Just avoid it on a Saturday afternoon, if you don't want to sit in a traffic jam for an hour. There is an open top bus tour with commentary which goes through Lyndhurst, Brockenhurst, Beaulieu and Lymington.

http://www.newforestnpa.gov.uk/

I am just going to list some nearby kid friendly places and you can google them if you are interested. It would take too long to link them all

Longleat - Safari park and stately home

Bournemouth - seaside resort with beautful beach and many attractions such as an aquarium

Beaulieu - motor museum (if kids like cars), stately home, lovely village with a lake and lots of animals inc friendly donkeys

Exbury gardens - for kids there is a mini train ride

Marwell Zoo

Portsmouth- sailing ships inc Nelson's victory, Spinnaker Tower, Aquarium

Lulworth cove (free)- a bit further away in Dorset, but definitely a contender for most beautiful beach on planet earth.

Monkey world

Isle of Wight attractions (there are lots more. It is a very family holiday oriented place)

Robin Hill Country Park

Amazon World

Dinosaur Isle

Blackgang Chine

IOW Zoo

Alum bay - beautiful beach with a chair lift down to it. Plus view/boat tour to the Needles rocks

In Southampton

Martine museum

Museum of archeology - sometimes has kids activities. Check with tourist info centre

Solent Sky - possibly not for such young children unless they love planes

Southampton Common (free)- large play area and paddling pool, plus acres of fields for ball games and the like. Feed the ducks, visit the "Urban Wildlife centre" and cafe

The Quays - swimming pool with slides and stuff. For rainy days

Romsey Rapids - another pool, just outside Southampton

Walk on the Southampton walls (free)

In Southampton there is a tourist information centre opposite the Civic centre, by Matalan. They have lots of leaflets and maps to help you.

california girl
Level Contributor
106 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help from local residents about actvities in the area!!

Thank you so much for your suggestions Peterscot & Akkarin.

Btw, we'll be there the whole month of July.

Tenerife, Spain
Level Contributor
16,854 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need help from local residents about actvities in the area!!

Hi

Whem I lived in Hampshire I always used to take my grandchildren to Paulton´s Park http://www.paultonspark.co.uk/ they loved it because it is a theme park with all the rides you would find in a grown-ups park just scaled down for little ones. If your children are under 1m tall they go in free. The also used to like Finkley Down Farm in Andover where you get to feed all the baby animals, ride on tractors and picnic in the park http://www.finkleydownfarm.co.uk/

Enjoy

Southampton, United...
Destination Expert
for Southampton, Kalamaki, Zakynthos
Level Contributor
3,018 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need help from local residents about actvities in the area!!

I used to take my niece to Manor Farm many moons ago

…hants.gov.uk/hampshire-countryside/manorfar…

Can also recommend Marwell Wildlife for a great day out and its not too far from Whitely.

www.marwell.org

Also Portsmouth has some great naval museums as well as being home to HMS Victory, there is also the fun fair and beach at Southsea

daysoutguide.co.uk/portsmouth-historic-docky…

www.dayoutwiththekids.co.uk/search.php…

Park Gate...
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Need help from local residents about actvities in the area!!

Hi Calfornia Gal

I live in Park Gate which is the other side of the motoway roundabout from Whiteley.

Would highly recommend Pinkmead Farm at Botley for horse riding lessons - run by a wonderful family called the Kings.. the benefit as a grown up is there is a great bar and restaurant attached (called Kings) so a glass of wine is an option whilst you watch the kids take lessons! Its a very family friendly place and we take my friend's five year old there regulary. Ian King run two farms and may well be able to help with the farm request.

Plenty of local soccer schools for your 7 year old. Warsash Wasps one of the best locally but Whiteley also have their own team. I will ask my partner for you as he used to coach kids under 11 locally.

Why not try a little cricket? There is a fantastic local club that teach the little ones on a Friday evening - I think that it is between 6-7 pm.

There is a large indoor play barn for your little one near Marwell Zoo, whch also has a large outdoor activity centre attached for your seven year old. This is towards Winchester so slightly futher out (the rest all within about 6 miles radius)

Finally the best local pub is the Talisman in Park Gate. Full of the locals during the week and absolutely packed out on a Friday evening if you and your husband fancy a night out!

Give me a shout if I can help in anyway. I would be happy to help you out until you get your bearings!

PS Weather great here at the moment :-)

vickilaird5@hotmail.com

Bournemouth, United...
Level Contributor
89 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need help from local residents about actvities in the area!!

I just checked the Southampton Football Club website, they are playing a friendly match against Ajax (from Holland) on Saturday 18th July which might be a cool experience for your son if he likes watching football as well as playing!

saintsfc.co.uk/page/…00.html

Southampton
Level Contributor
4,054 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need help from local residents about actvities in the area!!

If Southampton FC haven't gone bust by then!

california girl
Level Contributor
106 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need help from local residents about actvities in the area!!

Thank you all for your help...this forum is truly fantastic!!!!!!

Murph5, I sent you an email.

Thanks again.

Southampton
Level Contributor
74 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need help from local residents about actvities in the area!!

You can feed animals at Longdown Farm in Ashurst, just a short drive outside of Southampton on the edge of the New Forest. At various times of the day you can interact with the animals such as bottle feed goats, calf feeding, hold small animals and meet the pigs.

http://www.longdownfarm.co.uk