We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Southampton Forum

UK
Level Contributor
31 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Southampton Forum

There are some good forums here www.southamptonforums.co.uk for people of SOuthampton and also those wishing to visit :)

Mentioned in this post
Southampton
Southampton
Hampshire, UK
Blackpool
Level Contributor
624 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Southampton Forum

It's just a pity that the southampton forum page is not used very much.

I am originally from Southampton and everytime I go on this forum, its dead. Not many questions being asked about it at all. shame.

Mentioned in this post
Southampton
Southampton
Hampshire, UK
Southampton, United...
Destination Expert
for Southampton, Kalamaki, Zakynthos
Level Contributor
3,223 posts
217 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Southampton Forum

It is a shame, I often pop on as I live here and know a fair bit about the area. Thought it might become busier as the port is attracting a lot of people now who often spend some time here either side of their trip.

Elliot Lake, Canada
Level Contributor
38 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Southampton Forum

We will be starting our cruise celebrating our 40th anniversary in Southampton. I wanted to know what I could visit in your estimation for a day or two before we started our cruise. Isee places to stay but any that would be recommended by this forum.

Mentioned in this post
Southampton
Southampton
Hampshire, UK
Southampton
Level Contributor
76 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Southampton Forum

First of all congratulations on your anniversary! I hope you have a wonderful time.

Secondly, if you've got a couple of days in Southampton then I recommend the following:

Walk the Southampton Walls. The city is home to the second longest medieval walls in England that are still standing. Along the way you can visit buildings and museums such as the Bargate, Tudor House, The Maritime Museum, God’s House Tower.

Southampton is also good for a day of shopping. West Quay is home to over 100 shops including major shops such as John Lewis and Marks & Spencers (I seriously recommend a visit to the food section in there!).

Depending what days you are here, it might be worth taking in a sporting event. Southampton Football Club (Soccer) are currently in the middle of their season so it might be worth catching a game.

For fixtures see their website www.saintsfc.co.uk

or you might want to attend the theatre.

You can check whats on from their website:

http://www.mayflower.org.uk

As for hotels, it depends on your budget. The best hotel is the 5* Grand Harbour part of the De Vere hotels.

devere-hotels.com/our-hotels/…the-hotel

Personally I recommend the Blue Keys Hotel which is located just outside the City Centre (10 mins walk).

http://www.bluekeyshotel.co.uk

Mentioned in this post
Southampton
Southampton
Hampshire, UK
England
England
United Kingdom
Bargate
Bargate
148 Reviews
Southampton, UK
Tudor House
Tudor House
360 Reviews
Bell Busk, UK
Grand Harbour Hotel
Grand Harbour Hotel
2,100 Reviews
Southampton, UK
The Blue Keys
The Blue Keys
511 Reviews
Southampton, UK
Southampton
Level Contributor
4,876 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Southampton Forum

Don't forget the Dolphin Hotel in the High Street. As it says on it's plaque, Jane Austen danced there on her 18th birthday. It's completely eccentric. You will love it.

http://www.southamptondolphinhotel.co.uk/

Not in Southampton but just outside is England's newest National Park, the New Forest. But it's not that new, having got it's name from William I.

http://www.new-forest-national-park.com/

Most famously, it's full of semi-wild ponies, running free (often on the road). From Southampton you cant ake the train to Brockenhurst, in the middle of the forest (that is about 15 mins away) or to Lymington, a lovely seaside town on the edge of the forest.

Mentioned in this post
Southampton
Southampton
Hampshire, UK
The New Forest
The New Forest
327 Reviews
Ashurst, UK
Brockenhurst
Brockenhurst
New Forest National Park Hampshire, UK
Lymington
Lymington
New Forest National Park Hampshire, UK
Southampton
Level Contributor
76 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Southampton Forum

What kind of interests do you have? we might be able to help point you in a direction of a certain place of interest.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
60 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Southampton Forum

Well I'm visiting this site! I'm looking for information on lodging. I'm leaning towards a B&B as they might be more reasonable in price. I'll be in Southampton for one night for a cruise. Can anyone recommend a good budget hotel or B&B? Thanks!

Aurora

Mentioned in this post
Southampton
Southampton
Hampshire, UK
Southampton
Level Contributor
76 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Southampton Forum

A cheap hotel which has good transport links and close to the city centre and the docks is the 'Etap Hotel Southampton Centre' which seems to have pretty decent reviews on TA and the best thing is that it's really cheap as well.

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g186299-d1056…

Mentioned in this post
Southampton
Southampton
Hampshire, UK
9. Re: Southampton Forum

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:20 am, October 10, 2009