We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pub lunches near to St. Mary's.

swindon,england
Level Contributor
4,138 posts
263 reviews
Pub lunches near to St. Mary's.

We will be checking in to the Holiday Inn and then walking to St. Mary's to attend the Rod Stewart concert in May and are looking for suggestions for somewhere either en route or fairly close to the stadium that offers pub lunches or the like.

The concert begins around 5 pm. so anywhere that might be serving food early afternoon onwards would be great.

Many Thanks.

11 replies to this topic
souhampton
Level Contributor
133 posts
107 reviews
1. Re: Pub lunches near to St. Mary's.

Cove in Shamrock Quay is probably the nearest pub that will serve food to St Mary's . It is a little of the beaten track though but it is worth a little bit of a walk .

souhampton
Level Contributor
133 posts
107 reviews
2. Re: Pub lunches near to St. Mary's.

Or you could go to Ocean Village where there are plenty of bars and restaurants, that is about a 10 minute walk away ( personally I like Mango Thai Tapas and Maritimo Bar )

swindon,england
Level Contributor
4,138 posts
263 reviews
3. Re: Pub lunches near to St. Mary's.

Thank you for your suggestions i will take a look at them.

On the same topic i remember having a few drinks before a match at St. Mary's some years ago in a nearby pub where we walked over a footbridge to get to the stadium but have no idea what the name of it was but i do remember it being only a short walk and it was a pretty decent lively pub,any ideas to it's name and is it still there and does it offer food?.

Thanks again.

swindon,england
Level Contributor
4,138 posts
263 reviews
4. Re: Pub lunches near to St. Mary's.

I have since my last post looked at the area on Google and reckon it could possibly be The King Alfred,if so would anyone know if it offers food during the day during the week as the concert is on a Friday.

There are only a handful of reviews mentioning food and they are mostly over a year old,so any updated information would be much appreciated.

souhampton
Level Contributor
133 posts
107 reviews
5. Re: Pub lunches near to St. Mary's.

I do believe that The King Allfred has closed which is a shame as it was a decent Pub.

There is The Chapel Arms which does a nice pint of Stella but no food apart from match days when they get the BBQ out.

swindon,england
Level Contributor
4,138 posts
263 reviews
6. Re: Pub lunches near to St. Mary's.

That is a shame and perhaps is the reason for a lack of recent reviews,The Chapel Arms you mention looks a decent alternative for drinks so maybe we will eat elsewhere and then head there.

Many thanks for your help,much appreciated.

Hampshire, United...
Level Contributor
1,550 posts
54 reviews
7. Re: Pub lunches near to St. Mary's.

Between the hotel and the stadium there are plenty of pub options including The Dancing Man Brewery, The Duke of Wellington, The Platform Tavern , The Red Lion , The Stien Garden , The White Star , The Med Bar & The Flying Dutchman. Also two Weatherspoon pubs The Standing Order & The Admiral Sir Lucius Curtis.

All of the above do good food , best to check individually for serving times.

Then as mentioned above Ovean Village has a good few Options including the Pitcher & Piano & Bannana Wharf.

Being a large city there is the full compliment of chain eateries with some great choices at the West Quay Watermark complex just to the north of the Holiday Inn.

All this on or very close to your half hour walk up to the stadium so your spoilt for choice.

Have a great day and come back for any more specific info.

swindon,england
Level Contributor
4,138 posts
263 reviews
8. Re: Pub lunches near to St. Mary's.

That's great to hear that we do have so many options and that it's only a half hour walk from the hotel to the stadium,a Wetherspoon pub would be ideal for us.

Just to clarify what Wetherspoon would be the best one on our walking route to go to and then which would be the closest pub to the stadium to then have a few drinks .

Thank you.

Hampshire, United...
Level Contributor
1,550 posts
54 reviews
9. Re: Pub lunches near to St. Mary's.

The Standing order is closest to the hotel and the biggest , the Admiral L smaller but closer to the stadium.

If a spoons is ok then I would head to the Standing Order first & then head on to Oxford St for a few pre Rod drinks.

Med Bar , White Star , The Grapes , London Hotel , & The Flying Dutchman around the corner.

All good bars where you will be able to get a seat & 10 / 15 mins up to St Mary’s.

5 mins from St Mary’s is the Chaple Arms , closest pub but likely to be packed & plastic glasses only.

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
3,709 posts
285 reviews
10. Re: Pub lunches near to St. Mary's.

The King Alfred is no longer open. The Chapel is the nearest pub, but you would be better off going in to Ocean Village. There is not a bad Wetherspoons, if that is your sort of thing, called The Admiral Lucius Curtis that is at Ocean Village entrance. You could also look up reviews for the Flying Dutchman in Oxford Street.

Reply to: Pub lunches near to St. Mary's.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Southampton