We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Norwegian Fjords Cruise from Southampton - Any trip reports?

Midland, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,375 posts
236 reviews
Norwegian Fjords Cruise from Southampton - Any trip reports?

My wife and I are considering taking the 12 days Fjord Cruise in 2019. The schedule P&O ship will be the Arcadia.

We would like to hear any comments on this particular ship and/or cruise. If someone could guide us to a trip report of sorts, will be much appreciated.

We have sailed three times with Hurtigruten on different programs, and we trying to find a way to know other regions of Norway.

I know cruise critic has some information, but not exactly what we would like to know, something like a comparison of Hurtigruten and P&O.

Also, the P&O website is frequently not accessible and my email messages to P&O may take a long time to be answered, up to 28 days according with the automated response.

36 replies to this topic
Wiltshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Wiltshire
Level Contributor
11,331 posts
441 reviews
1. Re: Norwegian Fjords Cruise from Southampton - Any trip reports?

Perhaps better asked in the Cruise forum https:/…ShowForum-g1-i10703-Cruises.html

Luton, United...
Level Contributor
509 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: Norwegian Fjords Cruise from Southampton - Any trip reports?

I would agree with PM it's better asked on the Cruise Critic forum, but a few comments of my own I have not sailed on Arcadia but have on Azura, Ventura and Britannia.

P&O evening dress code, there are 2 Formal and Smart Casual, formal means a dinner jacket, lounge suit, highland dress or military dress uniform for men and evening dress for women it's widely upheld with only a limited number of venues open to people,who don't wear such clothes. It can come as a shock to those more used to less formal cruise lines. Smart casual means a shirt with a collar at minimum and full length trousers, not blue jeans or shorts for men.

Menus have a British feel to them with items such as kippers on the breakfast menu as well as many other things as well.

If you are visiting Flåm then the train ride is a very nice trip, it can be prebooked online rather than rely on a P&O trip, there is the local, brewery that has won awards but with Norwegian alcohol taxes a beer is very expensive.

London, United...
Level Contributor
5,624 posts
26 reviews
3. Re: Norwegian Fjords Cruise from Southampton - Any trip reports?

Hurtigruten and P&O are not really comparable in my opinion. Hurtigruten are basically ferries with a really nice seafood buffet. It is as informal/formal as you wish to make it and the booze is eye-poppingly expensive.

P&O is a full service cruise with multiple dinning choices, on board entertainment, ship excursions and everything else that comes with a cruise. There will be more formal nights and you will need to at least go business casual unless you want to eat in the buffet. Breakfast in the main dining room is excellent. On-board drinks will be significantly cheaper.

Buckingham, United...
Destination Expert
for Buckinghamshire, Somme, Winchester
Level Contributor
2,332 posts
2,090 reviews
4. Re: Norwegian Fjords Cruise from Southampton - Any trip reports?

Cruise Critic is your best option - or you could look at Princess, they do a couple of similar trips, I did 7 days to Fjords last year, great cruise 🙂

Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
3,147 posts
225 reviews
5. Re: Norwegian Fjords Cruise from Southampton - Any trip reports?

P&O cruises = Brits Abroad!

Arcadia is not one of their newer ships, and most of the passengers will most likely be 60 years +.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
72,898 posts
476 reviews
6. Re: Norwegian Fjords Cruise from Southampton - Any trip reports?

Please post in the Cruises forum as has been suggested. The fjords are great, but I'm no longer impressed by P&O. I agree that you can't really compare Hurtigruten with P&O. That would be compating apples and oranges.

Southampton, UK
Level Contributor
1,865 posts
33 reviews
7. Re: Norwegian Fjords Cruise from Southampton - Any trip reports?

See www.cruise.co.uk where there are hundreds of reviews.

Midland, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,375 posts
236 reviews
8. Re: Norwegian Fjords Cruise from Southampton - Any trip reports?

Thanks very much to Postings 1 through 6.

Perhaps I have used the wrong term to phrase my question. Instead of "Comparing", I should have used "Contrasting". From the very beginning I knew PO and Hurtigruten are different.

My hope, as expressed initially, was to find a Trip report from a Portsmouth or British local who had done something similar to what I have in mind. I guess i will have to go somewhere else to find them.

P&O cruises = Brits Abroad?, well that sound fantastic!!!!!!!. I am an "anglophile" of sorts, and I have met wonderful Britishers on my sailings with Hurtigruten.

1948 Mike;

You are right, that website seems to have "tons" of reviews. Thanks for the info.

Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
3,147 posts
225 reviews
9. Re: Norwegian Fjords Cruise from Southampton - Any trip reports?

I've not been on Hurtigruten, although I'd love to try it. However, been to Norway on 4 or 5 different cruise lines, and have to say that P&O would be the one which I probably wouldn't repeat. Worst food and entertainment and a limited mix of passengers.

Midland, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,375 posts
236 reviews
10. Re: Norwegian Fjords Cruise from Southampton - Any trip reports?

walkingwithbooths;

Your comments sound honest and truthful. Thanks for being so forthcoming, I will keep them in mind.

Never done a Hurtigruten expedition?, well, I hope you do. My three times have been quite enjoyable for the most part. If you ever want to hear any comments or recommendations, just send me a message through Tripadvisor.

My wife and I are thinking of a fourth expedition with Hurtigruten, but we are still hoping to find ways to make it somewhat different.

Reply to: Norwegian Fjords Cruise from Southampton - Any trip reports?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Southampton