We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Passport stamp at Portsmouth Harbour

Which Portsmouth hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
None
Level Contributor
50 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Passport stamp at Portsmouth Harbour

Hi all, I tried to find the answer of this question but the closest topic has been closed. If we take ferry from portsmouth to le havre (in France) as foot passenger, do non-eu passport holders get stamp on entering le havre and do they get another when arriving back in portsmouth?

thanks in advance!

Brussels
Level Contributor
5,260 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Passport stamp at Portsmouth Harbour

< do non-eu passport holders get stamp on entering le havre >

Yes (entry to the Schengen Area).

< do they get another when arriving back in portsmouth? >

I don't know.

London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Passport stamp at Portsmouth Harbour

You will have to go through passport control - you may hae to ask for the stamp.

None
Level Contributor
50 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Passport stamp at Portsmouth Harbour

Thanks all for the reply... when you mentioned 'you may have to ask', does it mean that passport control is not always 'controlled'? As for arriving back in portsmouth, i have a huge belief that another stamp will be stamped on the passport as for entering the uk, anyone agree?

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,591 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Passport stamp at Portsmouth Harbour

It means that passports may not always be stamped. If you really want a stamp, you may have to ask. Which nationality are you?

No idea about your second question. What does it matter??

Brussels
Level Contributor
5,260 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Passport stamp at Portsmouth Harbour

< It means that passports may not always be stamped >

Under the Schengen Area rules, *all* non-EU passports must be stamped when the holder enters or leaves the Schengen Area, unless the person concerned has a residence permit for a Schengen Area country.

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
749 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Passport stamp at Portsmouth Harbour

My Canadian friends passport was stamped in France but not again as he came bacl.

None
Level Contributor
50 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Passport stamp at Portsmouth Harbour

Hey all, thanks so much for all the replies... So, I just had a weekend getaway Portsmouth-Le Havre, return... So, when leaving the UK, non-EU passports (so, I am now talking about non-EU passports only) dont get stamped as the UK does not issue exit stamp. On arrival at Le Havre, the passports get entry stamp to France. While going back to Portsmouth, the passport once again stamped. Total 2 stamps from France. On arrival at Portsmouth harbor, the passport gets stamped for entering the UK. So, that's the story of stamp I was curious about... =)

8. Re: Passport stamp at Portsmouth Harbour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 pm, December 14, 2013