We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best train journey London to Portsmouth

Which Portsmouth hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Scotland
Level Contributor
104 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Best train journey London to Portsmouth

Which train company is recommended for journey from London to Portsmouth, considering train service and comfort and scenery.

We will not be in any hurry and are happy to take the longer route from Victoria. We are leaning towards this route partly because it is cheaper at the moment and we can book seats in advance which I don't think we can do on the route from Waterloo.

However, I would be pleased to have any advice on this topic.

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Best train journey London to Portsmouth

You can't book seats on the service from Victoria - you can buy cheap advance tickets, but you don't get reserved seats with them

You might want to look at megatrain as well - fares start at £1. They use SW trains

I'd say nothing much to choose between the two routes in terms of service/comfort/scenary, so it's a question of weighing up time against price

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
749 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best train journey London to Portsmouth

Hi,

You can also take the coach from £1, non stop from Victoria to Portsmouth, with the Greyhound. takes 2 hours. I'd never take the train to London again.

Scotland
Level Contributor
104 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best train journey London to Portsmouth

Thank you for your advice.

Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
6,320 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best train journey London to Portsmouth

We regularly go by Southern Rail from Pompey Harbour to Victoria.

Book on-line in advance. Selected departures only.

For example on 12 August we are catching the 0912 to Victoria, and returning on the 2002. Both trains are direct and avoid the peak period.

Cost £7.50 each return. Children £3.80 return.

5. Re: Best train journey London to Portsmouth

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, January 31, 2011