We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

any places to visit before the shops open?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
228 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
any places to visit before the shops open?

Hi, will be arriving at Portsmouth at 0615 from Le Harve. Am thinking it'll take about 30 min to clear customs, 1 hr for breakfast and 2 hours to kill before the shops open.

any recommendation on places that one can visit before the shops open at 10 am? places within a short taxi or bus ride from the ferry terminal.

reason is that I would like to visit the shops, in particular the Clarks outlet at Gunwharf Quay before I head into London and leave UK. Can anyone tell me if the prices will be cheaper than London or are they about the same price?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
228 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: any places to visit before the shops open?

have read the older posts. would like to add on a couple of questions.

If we take a walk along the beach/parks, are there any places for us to store our bags for a while? any train stations near the ferry terminal or the Gunwharf Quay have coin storage for tourists?

or is it better just to sit down at a coffee shop?

and is it far to get to Portsdown Hill from the terminal? walkable distance or a taxi/bus is required?

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
750 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: any places to visit before the shops open?

Hi Zwean,

I rang Gunwhalf Quays for you they used to offer left luggage but have with drawn it for SECURITY reasons

None of the railaway stations in Portsmouth have a left luggage office or lockers. I called the ferry port as well and they confirmed that they can offer left luggage.

Left luggage is situated behind the port security desk in the main terminal building. Left Luggage is charged at £3 per item, available from 0600-2330 hours (no overnight facility). No electronic equipment can be accepted.

You could take a taxi from the ferry port to Southsea castle (£6) and then take a morning stroll along the sea front back into Old Portsmouth then back into Gunwharf Quays (about 2.5 miles)

A taxi from gunwhalf to the ferry port to pick up your luggage and back to the train station would cost around £8-£10

Portsdaown hill is a 4.2 mile trip and only could be done by taxi really.

Hope this helps, if not please feel free and ask for more help.

Dave

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
750 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: any places to visit before the shops open?

Sorry that should read,

Portsdown Hill and not Portsdaown hill

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
228 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: any places to visit before the shops open?

Thanks for calling Gunwharf Quay and the ferry port! £3 per item is a bit high, will tell my friends to squeeze everything into 1 bag before we leave for the morning stroll.

The trip to Southsea Castle sounds good. 2.4 miles is just about right for us, as one of my friend has health problems and cannot walk for too long a period of time.

Thanks Dave! Will write a post after my trip in June!

5. Re: any places to visit before the shops open?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:23 am, November 13, 2009