We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weekend Break - Portsmouth

Level Contributor
60 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Weekend Break - Portsmouth

My husband and I will be staying at the Portsmouth Marriott in a few weeks and wondered if anyone

could give us some ideas on some traditional pubs and good restaurants in the area (approx 20pds per head).

Any other relevant info also gratefully received.

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
750 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weekend Break - Portsmouth

The Marriot hotel is on the border of Portsmouth, I would say there are no places to eat within walking distance of the hotel, apart from in the front of the next hotel down which is just a chain eatery (sorry cannot remember its name).

You could either take a short motorway ride in a taxi into Portsmouth (4.6 miles) to visit Gunwharf Quays which is right on the water front. http://www.gunwharf-quays.com/

There are some nice pubs in Old portsmouth where you can sit and watch the ships in the harbour go by.

If you fancy a nice steak,i would recommend "Shorties" in Southsea, its a small place good food with a fair price.

or you could also take a taxi into "Port solent" (1.7 miles)(welcometoportsmouth.co.uk/…20shopping.html

I personally find this place it a bit boring but that is just me..lol

Level Contributor
77 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weekend Break - Portsmouth

I agree with Portsmouth Dave about Old Portsmouth.

It's a very nice area to enjoy a meal overlooking the harbour and take in the history of the place. Personally I like the pub called 'Spice Island Inn' and I recommend, if they still do it, the Steak and Ale pie. Lovely!!! :-)

Level Contributor
88 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weekend Break - Portsmouth

Hi combatkaz, I would try and avoid GunWharf it's nearly all chain restaurants. Albert Road in Southsea has some good independant options, alternatively have a look through the the restaurants section on here.

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
750 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weekend Break - Portsmouth

waterlooville uk
Level Contributor
1,896 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weekend Break - Portsmouth

There is a Beefeater pub - the Harbour Lights - just along from the Marriott (2 mins walk), but it's a debatable point whether you rate that as traditional or good. (I've not been there for years).

Probably best to go into Portsmouth, but agree about Gunwharf - nothing but chain restaurants. Nice views though.

6. Re: Weekend Break - Portsmouth

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:29 am, October 18, 2009