We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to Portsmouth from London's airports

Which Portsmouth hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Oslo
2 posts
Save Topic
Getting to Portsmouth from London's airports

Hi guys!

I need to go to Portsmouth next friday and I'm looking for the easiest and fastest way down there from London.

I'll be flying in from Norway so I can arrive either at Heathrow or London city. Wich airport would be the best??

Regards, Eric

London
Level Contributor
2,210 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to Portsmouth from London's airports

You can take a coach directly from Heathrow to Portsmouth, it takes about 3 hours.

From London City you would have to get the Tube to Victoria and get a coach from there. Just slightly longer trip I think, though you may want to compare the timetables with your arrival time;

http://www.nationalexpress.com/

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to Portsmouth from London's airports

"Portsmouthdave" knows a taxi company that charge £55 or so from Heathrow. That would be 1/2 the time of a coach, probably at double the cost for one person.

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
2,461 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting to Portsmouth from London's airports

Heathrow - Woking rail link coach to Woking then train to Portsmouth.

City - DLR/Jubilee Line to Waterloo (not Victoria) then train to Portsmouth

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,645 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting to Portsmouth from London's airports

Heathrow to Portsmouth via Woking on coach and then train would take two hours and cost £25.70

City Airport to Portsmouth via DLR, Jubilee line tube (changing from the DLR at Canning Town) and train from Waterloo would take about 2 1/4 hours and cost £4 for the DLR/tube journey and £25.50 for the train from Waterloo so not much in it.

I'd be tempted by whichever air route is the cheapest.

Oslo
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting to Portsmouth from London's airports

Thank you so much for all the tips and replies! The airfare is the same no mather what airport i fly to, so it is only the travel time from the airport to portsmouth which I need to considerate. And of course also the cost. I think the coach to woking and then rail sounds the best so far. Also I could get a rental on heathrow for only 50@ for the entire weekend! However I am thinking the higways might be pretty congested. Not even speaking about how you guys drive on the WRONG side of the road! haha...

Eric

6. Re: Getting to Portsmouth from London's airports

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:22 pm, October 08, 2009