We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rail to Portsmouth?

Which Portsmouth hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Mateo
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Topic
Rail to Portsmouth?

We are arriving at Heathrow Airport this Saturday 8/19 at 11:25am. We want to take train to Portsmouth and are trying to figure out how to do that.

It sounds as though we should buy tix ahead of time, but we are worried about buying tickets and missing our train due to (the seemingly inevitable) possible flight/baggage delays or problems. Will we have a problem getting tickets at Heathrow? Or, if we buy tickets and miss our train can we use those tickets for the next train?

Would love any advice possible! Thank you so much.

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
976 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Rail to Portsmouth?

Get the railair bus from Heathrow to Woking and then a SW train (every half hour) to Portsmouth.

No point in buying ahead of time on this route - there are no savings to be had by doing so. You couldn't do so anyway - there is no ticket pickup point at Heathrow.

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
976 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Rail to Portsmouth?

That's no ticket pickup point at Heathrow for tickets purchased in advance - tickets bought on the day are no problem

San Mateo
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Rail to Portsmouth?

Thanks so much - from the britrail site it looks as though tix could be 22GBP per person- which seems like alot (we are a family of four). Do you know if this is the case?

Are we better off just renting a car? (we think we will need one once we get there to get around - but could rent there in Portsmouth). We are only there for a day and a half so having trouble figuring out best transport solution.

Thank you again for taking the time to provide advice.

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
749 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rail to Portsmouth?

Why not get a taxi. (private hire company in Portsmouth)

£55 plus parking

http://www.aquacars.co.uk/

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
749 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rail to Portsmouth?

for above....You will need to pre-book if you require an airport pick up. I work for this company and you wont have any problems with them.

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London
Level Contributor
6,692 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rail to Portsmouth?

Blimey, that's cheap for a taxi... it would cost that much from Heathrow to me, 16 or so miles away, and Portsmouth is an hour further on!

sailwhit: Are you 4 adults, or do you have under-16s, as they will travel more cheaply. You can always try for groupsave aswell - which is 4 travel for the price of 2. Sorry; I don't know if there are any restrictions on that, but certainly I've made use of that offer from here up to London. It might mean buying a return, but to be honest, they only a few pence more than a single, usually.

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
749 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rail to Portsmouth?

Cheap yes...tell me about it...lol

thats why i dont do airport jobs...but the company does over 200 a week

San Mateo
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Rail to Portsmouth?

That does seem like a good price! We are 2 adults, 2 kids 11,13...

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London
Level Contributor
6,692 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rail to Portsmouth?

If you're going to use the trains a lot, consider getting a 'family & friends railcard' which'll cost you £24, but then gives you adults a 1/3 off, and the children 60% off (or is it the other way around). You can download the form before you arrive, and just hand it over with money at the train station.

If not - I have to say PortsmouthDave's taxi fare is a good deal, and means you can relax for the entire journey (unless you get stuck in one of the M25's infamous traffic jams!)

uk
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Rail to Portsmouth?

PortsmouthDave is quite right. I have a B&B in Southsea and always recomend a taxi from Heathrow. In May I returned from Italy with a bike and my Taxi fare was £60 total. Remember you've just had a long flight and you may need a taxi when you get off at Portsmouth which could be about £5 added onto your rail fare. Unless you are staying at my place which is only 10 minutes walk from the station.