We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Portsmouth to London

Which Portsmouth hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Canada
Level Contributor
4,320 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Train from Portsmouth to London

I'm having problems with the National Rail site (its usually pretty good but they must be doing something to it)

Can anyone give me some info about this route. I am thinking about coming in by ferry from Caen and need to get to London. I know that Portsmouth harbour has a station but its been over 10 years since I've been there. How do I get from the ferry terminal to either of the Portsmouth stations - taxi, walk, shuttle???

..and what is the ball park figure for a 1 way ticket from P/mouth - London. I know there are huge variables here so don't expect too much.

I have just recovered from my faint at the price of the Eurostar and am trying to see if ferry and train will be more economical in terms of both money and logistics.

TIA

Seattle
Level Contributor
9,650 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from Portsmouth to London

Africandaisy: Had a look at prices next week, and the cheapest is £2.90 for a price buster to £24.00 for a standard single.

Found this info on http://www.portsmouth-port.co.uk/ :

Q5. Are there any public transport links between the port and the city centre?

A5. Regular buses run to Portsmouth Harbour and Portsmouth and Southsea train stations during the main summer season. There is a taxi rank outside the main terminal and you can call a cab from the free phone inside the building.

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
2,316 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from Portsmouth to London

The Cross- channel ferris arrive at their own terminal a bit out of Portsmouth, but only about 2-3 miles so a taxi to the ststion won't be too expensive and I think that they have a shuttle bus to meet the ships.

Standard single to London is £24, the Pricebuster is £12.90, fast train every 30 minutes during the day.

Canada
Level Contributor
4,320 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train from Portsmouth to London

Thank you both...

I am looking at flying too but like the idea of a cross-channel trip and love trains :)

UK
Level Contributor
122 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Train from Portsmouth to London

Single from Portsmouth to London - £1 - on selected departures at 12.45, 14.24 and 20.20

Book well in advance and print your ticket at www.megatrain.com.

Portsmouth
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train from Portsmouth to London

Why dont you look at getting the coach (National Express) it picks up at the ferry terminal and goes right into London (Victoria Bus Station) Have used this service and its a cheap option.

michigan
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train from Portsmouth to London

Did you like the ferry from Caen to Portsmouth? I am thinking doing the same crossing as you. What type of cabin would you recommend?

Thank you

dbt

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
749 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train from Portsmouth to London

Hi Downbythe,

There are two types of ferries,

The high speed ferry which takes 3 ¾ hours and the

Classic cruise ferry which takes 6 hours (day); 7 hours (overnight)

The high speed ferry has no cabins,

brittany-ferries.co.uk/fleet/normandie-expre…

The Classic cruise ferry, do you need one for a day sailing of 6 hours? Heres a link to some cabin info for you.

brittany-ferries.co.uk/fleet/…accommodation

Dave

Canada
Level Contributor
4,320 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train from Portsmouth to London

Wow this was almost two years ago :)

Downbythe - I ended up not taking the ferry. We had a hire car so drove from where we were staying to Caen, train to Paris and then Easyjet back to Luton.

It was just a little less complicated and quicker.

Good luck.

9. Re: Train from Portsmouth to London

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:19 am, October 22, 2009