We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
TripAdvisor
Stow-on-the-Wold
Search

Traveling alone

Los Angeles...
1 post
Traveling alone
Save

I've never been to England before so I'm taking a tour of London and Cotswolds. I wanted to go to Highclere Castle after the tour but I'd be going by myself. I was also thinking of going to Scotland for a couple of days also by myself. I was wondering how difficult it would be to get transportation from Stow-on-the-Wold to Highclere Castle and also to Scotland after that. Any suggestions?

3 replies to this topic
Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
3,509 posts
246 reviews
133 helpful votes
1. Re: Traveling alone
Save

Transportation from Stow to Highclere - about an hour and 40 minutes by car. By public transport - who knows? Forever I suspect, and you would have to take a taxi from Newbury. A very difficult journey.

It is not worth going to Scotland for a couple of days - suggest you might visit Oxford as it is quite near the Cotswolds.

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,394 posts
2. Re: Traveling alone
Save

It's not really difficult

Stow to Moreton in Marsh by bus, train through Oxford (normally no need to change) to Reading, change for another train to Newbury then taxi

You have to prebook Highclere - no casual visitors.

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
2,715 posts
61 reviews
37 helpful votes
3. Re: Traveling alone
Save

(Repeating what dzug wrote) Bus to Moreton-in-Marsh, train to Reading, another train to Newbury, all of which will take 2.5 to 3 hrs, then taxi. You can see schedules at http://www.travelinesw.com/

Since you don`t indicate where in Scotland you want to get to and it is not clear whether you want to depart from Moreton or Newbury, perhaps it is best if you just look up the train schedules and fares yourself at www.nationalrail.co.uk Don`t be surprised if you are looking at a 7 hour, multi-train journey.

Reply to: Traveling alone
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Stow-on-the-Wold