We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Childrens activities in Cheltenham

Iver
1 post
Save Topic
Childrens activities in Cheltenham

My three teenage ( Boy 12, Boy 15 , Girl 17 ) children are due to transfer boarding schools to Cheltenham this September. As a last of the summer hols treats we want to book into a central town Hotel for 8 nights Bed & Breakfast and evening meal in the week leading up to them starting school.I will not see them for 3 months hence the late holiday. Any ideas where to stay. What is in Cheltenham and the area to keep 3 very active teenage children amused.

Help please !

Mentioned in this post
Cheltenham
Cheltenham
Cotswolds, UK
Cheltenham
Level Contributor
92 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Childrens activities in Cheltenham

Not going to be easy to find a hotel in central cheltenham for a reasonable price. But i would recommend Kandinsky's or Queens as a treat. Not stayed there myself but they look nice from the public areas & food is good

As for occupying the kids it might be more difficult (we are not packed full of childrens activities) But I would reccomend:

Shopping in Cheltenham (excellent)

A visit to gloucester Rugby (this is Rugby country and if they are coming to boarding school they need an intro)

Try and find a riding centre to go for a horse ride on the cotswolds

Dry slope skiing in Gloucester is worth a go

Forest of Dean is worth a visit for a day possibly - there are things to do on the river & plenty of walks

there is plenty going on round here, but it is not always geared to teenagers. If they have particular interests post it and someone might be able to suggest something!

Mentioned in this post
Cheltenham
Cheltenham
Cotswolds, UK
Rugby
Rugby
Warwickshire, UK
Gloucester
Gloucester
Cotswolds, UK
Forest of Dean
Forest of Dean
Gloucestershire, UK
Manchester
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Childrens activities in Cheltenham

The suggestions Fulhamrob makes for you childrens activities are good ones. However his hotel suggestions are well off the mark if you really know your stuff and reseached the area.If you want central Cheltenham and value for money go for The George or Beaumont House Hotel or with 3 teenage children who will need their space then try Cheltenham Apartments-now that would be a treat..

Mentioned in this post
Cheltenham
Cheltenham
Cotswolds, UK
Beaumont House
Beaumont House
654 Reviews
Cheltenham, UK
Cheltenham
Level Contributor
92 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Childrens activities in Cheltenham

I still say depends on budget. I had a friend with kids just slightly older who loved Kandinsky's - but it cost them!

Apartments are nto neccesarily easy at this time of year.

As i said depends on budget

Manchester
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Childrens activities in Cheltenham

Sorry still disagree especially on food. The Queens is very tired in parts and the Peti- Blanc ( is that how you spell it ? ) is where I would eat but it would be expensive. As for food at Kadinsky's ( and service ) no way.Have never stayed there but have eaten there ( or tried to ) . Any way if you are in the centre of Cheltenham food is not the issue there is so much to choose from and at all prices and tastes.

Mentioned in this post
The Queens
The Queens
477 Reviews
Ludlow, UK
Cheltenham
Cheltenham
Cotswolds, UK
Cheltenham
Level Contributor
92 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Childrens activities in Cheltenham

agree about the food for sure - centre of Cheltenham is not difficult to find decent food

Mentioned in this post
Cheltenham
Cheltenham
Cotswolds, UK
cheltenham
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Childrens activities in Cheltenham

Gloucester Docks and the surrounding attractions have pleased my children who are of a similar age.

Mentioned in this post
Gloucester
Gloucester
Cotswolds, UK
St. Louis
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Childrens activities in Cheltenham

There is a great hotel in Cheltenham called Willoughby , Suffolk Road and there you could stay in their 2 bedroom apartment (previously a coach house), and either prepare your own breakfast or I am sure you could have it in the hotel.

Not sure what rate you are willing to pay, but for us it was very reasonable. We stayed there on and off for about 6 months.

We are very new to Cheltenham (without children), but do find many wonderful things to do in and around the Cotswold.

Mentioned in this post
Cheltenham
Cheltenham
Cotswolds, UK
Suffolk
Suffolk
East Anglia, UK
8. Re: Childrens activities in Cheltenham

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:17 am, August 18, 2009