We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for lovely hotel to compliment a day at the races

Which Cheltenham hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bedford, United...
Level Contributor
54 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for lovely hotel to compliment a day at the races

hi, I have bought my husband tickets to the Gold Cup Day at the races in March 2015 as his 30th birthday present. I am on the look for a lovely hotel to stay in the night before as we will be travelling from Kent.

I am not familiar with Cheltenham at all so unsure if its possible to get somewhere close the the centre and the racecourse?

Thanks

cheltenham
Level Contributor
262 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for lovely hotel to compliment a day at the races

Depends on the budget, but Ellenbrough park is lovely- especially as a treat!

Bedford, United...
Level Contributor
54 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for lovely hotel to compliment a day at the races

Hi

Sorry that would help wouldn't it?! About £100-£200 is my max.

I tried ellenborough but looks booked up already

Twyning, United...
Level Contributor
481 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for lovely hotel to compliment a day at the races

There is a Hotel du Vin in the centre of Cheltenham, The Willoughby House is rather grand on Suffolk Square, very Regency. The Queens in the town centre. Newer is the Montpelier Chapter. These may be pricey, though, for Gold Cup. Cheaper would be Clarence Court, Regency House Hotel and The George are all central, Regency Buildings, and good quality. For fall back, Holiday Inn Express is central to Cheltenham by the Brewery.

Bedford, United...
Level Contributor
54 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for lovely hotel to compliment a day at the races

Thank you :) i shall have a look at all those mentioned.

Bedford, United...
Level Contributor
54 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for lovely hotel to compliment a day at the races

They are all showing as fully booked already! I think I need to get something sorted ASAP!

Twyning, United...
Level Contributor
481 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for lovely hotel to compliment a day at the races

Did you check on a comparison web site or direct with the hotels? They hotels do not need to discount for Gold Cup so often mark on web sites that they are full. Try ringing direct. Lower grade, but centrally located good and clean include The Big Sleep hotel, Wyastone House hotel. Further out is the Cheltenham Park ( a taxi ride into town, although convenient if driving up from Kent). Alternatively, look at stopping in the Cotswolds, so a short hop by car to the racecourse. Cirencester is en route if you drive out the M4 / A419 dual carriageway and there are a couple of nice hotels there (Stratton house hotel, corundum hotel)

Bedford, United...
Level Contributor
54 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for lovely hotel to compliment a day at the races

Thankse:) at the moment every hotel needs me to stay a minimum of 3 nights which is causing a problem :(

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
807 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Looking for lovely hotel to compliment a day at the races

Are you sure the hotels are really full? March 2015 is a long way away, and the hotels just may not have their availability posted yet. If you haven't yet.....I would call instead of trying to book online.

Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
8,914 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Looking for lovely hotel to compliment a day at the races

They will be full! Accommodation in Cheltenham in NH Festival week books up a year in advance at least!

Bedford, United...
Level Contributor
54 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Looking for lovely hotel to compliment a day at the races

Yup all full because of the festival!!

Have managed to get a lovely b & b to take us for one night , it's near Stroud and apparently the local train station ( stone house i think ! ) is the one trains from London go into.

Thanks for all your help :-)

I can't wait to go!