We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Purchasing train tickets ahead of time?

Toronto
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Purchasing train tickets ahead of time?

Another question re train travel to Cheltenham.

Thanks to a number of people's kind assistance, I've found some schedules from Gatwick to Cheltenham to that will work... am considering the Gatwick / Victoria / Paddington / Swindon / Cheltenham route (transferring that many times will keep me alert while severely jet-lagged -- ha). :-)

I have one more question -- is it important to pre-purchasing tickets? Maybe for the Paddington / Swindon / Cheltenham part of the journey? (I am assuming the Tube part of the journey can just be purchased as I get on). Or is it an integrated system - one ticket for all.

Thanks again...

K

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
13,994 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Purchasing train tickets ahead of time?

It will save you money if you book in advance, but you can get a £19 "Firstminutefare Leisure Std B" if you book before 1800 the day before travel, for a designated train.

A cheap day saver is £44 or £50 (I can't tell what the difference is) but probably both are for travel after 9.30 am and an open single is up to £69.50. A cheap day return (both way) ticket is £45 or £51 so if you are returning the same day compare the cost of a return vs two singles.

Those fares are for travel tomorrow from Paddington. Cheaper fares might be available for travel dates further in advance.

Fares appear identical for travel from Victoria or paddington and appear to include Tube travel for interchange between the rail stations if you buy your train ticket from Victoria.

Toronto
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Purchasing train tickets ahead of time?

Thanks! Much appreciated. K

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
976 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Purchasing train tickets ahead of time?

The cheap day saver at £44 is valid via Stroud only. The one at £50 is valid via Bristol.

paris
Level Contributor
82 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Purchasing train tickets ahead of time?

Unless you're a UK resident you can't purchase a RR ticket in advance on line.I learned the hard way.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,283 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Purchasing train tickets ahead of time?

<<< Unless you're a UK resident you can't purchase a RR ticket in advance on line >>>

Rubbish, initial registration requires a UK postcode - eg hotel - but after that you change the address to match that of your Credit Card before doing any bookings.

You can't have your tickets delivered abroad, but most people will have the option of picking them up from a Fasticket machine which are to be found at most major train stations.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
180 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Purchasing train tickets ahead of time?

Agree with last post -- I have bought UK rail tickets on line many times from the US, and pick them up at the ticket office or one of the FastTicket machines. Very easy to use.

Canada
Level Contributor
337 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Purchasing train tickets ahead of time?

I have also bought tickets online from overseas and picked them up from the machine at the station. I did have to put in a UK address, but you can just make one up (or use the hotel's address or a friend's address).

The further your trip, the more you save by booking in advance.

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,169 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Purchasing train tickets ahead of time?

National Rail site seems to be slow at the moment but do you need to go Gatwick to Victoria then Paddington? You might be able to cut London out and go Gatwick to Reading to Swindon to Cheltenham.

Check www.nationalrail.co.uk

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,169 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Purchasing train tickets ahead of time?

Right, just got the National Rail site up, there are trains from Gatwick to Cheltenham with one change at Reading or two changes (Reading and Bristol Parkway). Takes 3h40. What time are you leaving Gatport Airwick?

Saginaw, Michigan
Level Contributor
26 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Purchasing train tickets ahead of time?

When I went to the UK in 2005, I got a BritRail pass and never had to make a reservation or buy a ticket while I was in England. I probably checked at the station the day before to verify when the train was running, but that's all.

In fact, when I landed, the man helping me with my luggage got me a taxi for Euston Station. The driver helped me with my luggage onto the train. From there, I went straight to to Carlisle.

I can't imagine taking luggage on the Tube. But then I'm not comfortable traveling it anyway. I would take a bus or taxi out of Gatwick to the nearest town with a rail station towards Cheltenham and go from there.

Not sure if you've already taken your trip, so would be interested to learn how it worked out.