We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 week stay in Bourton on the water

Which Bourton-on-the-Water hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bath, New York
Level Contributor
5 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
2 week stay in Bourton on the water

We'll be in Bourton for 2 weeks without a car. Is there good public transportation to surrounding towns like stow on wald, broadway, chipping Camden? Is oddington within walking distance?

Oxfordshire
Level Contributor
2,613 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 week stay in Bourton on the water

"Is there good public transportation to surrounding towns"

By the standards of Cotswold towns where people actually live, no. There's a bus to Moreton in Marsh, via Stow and Lower Slaughter, and buses to Northleach. (see links at http://www.escapetothecotswolds.org.uk/visitor-info/gettinghere/north/)

You can change at Moreton for Broadway and Chipping Campden, but if you really do want to go gadding round virtually interchangeable tourist traps, Bourton's a rotten place to spend two whole weeks without a car.

It's not a bad centre for lots of walking: across the fields, Oddington's about 3-4 miles, and like everywhere in the area there are footpaths going off in all directions. A bit further by road - but walking along substantial Cotswold roads is horrible: they look empty if you're driving, but that's not how it feels if you're walking, and with undulating terrain and lots of bends drivers rarely see you till they're very close, and roads really aren't a good idea for more than a few yards between proper cross country footpaths.

Though crowded from 11-4 at summer weekends, it's pretty empty the other 99% of the time, so it's not a bad place either for just chilling out or writing those last chapters of the novel.

But if you want a holiday without a car and want to get around, you really need to stay elsewhere. The best connections are at Charlbury and Moreton in Marsh, but both are really places to live in rather than be a conventional tourist in. The best compromise is probably Chipping Campden

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 week stay in Bourton on the water

There are also buses to Cheltenham - every hour - which adds to your possibilities

But a car will make things a whole lot easier

Caterham, United...
Level Contributor
110 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 week stay in Bourton on the water

Unless all you want to do is relax, and write a book or whatever as suggested above, I'm not sure I'd plan to spend a whole two weeks in Bourton on the Water. Pretty little place, but there's lots more places to see!

Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
2,638 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 week stay in Bourton on the water

I would go crazy there for 2 whole weeks!

Either hire a car or change your plans.

Bath, New York
Level Contributor
5 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 week stay in Bourton on the water

Thank you for all of the replies. Being from the US, I must say that all four of us who will be traveling to the Cotswalds are a bit intimidated regarding driving. Would Stow on the wald be a better choice....it looks like a larger village with perhaps better connections to surrounding villages. We are very flexible with our plans.

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 week stay in Bourton on the water

Stow on the Wold has virtually identical transport services as Bourton - and is probably smaller with fewer facilities

The main thing it has that Bourton doesn't is a largish Tesco - Bourton's supermarket is a coop

Both are reasonably attractive places to stay

Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
2,638 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 week stay in Bourton on the water

If you don't want to drive then perhaps you would be better spending a few days in several different places. Unfortunately public transport is very limited and many of the really pretty places have virtually none - that is why they remain unspoiled. Personally I would stay in bigger places (Oxford, Bath) and then take some organised trips out.

8. Re: 2 week stay in Bourton on the water

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 7:34 am, December 22, 2015
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 2 week stay in Bourton on the water

Link to HF Holidays is:

hfholidays.co.uk/holidays/cotswolds-discovery

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London
Level Contributor
19,639 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 2 week stay in Bourton on the water

If you are keen cyclists, perhaps you could do that, but I agree, without a car, 2 weeks is way too long in B-o-t-W.

I think it would be too long even with a car....

Get answers to your questions about Bourton-on-the-Water