We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

suggestions on itinerary without car(no driver's license)!

tokyo
Level Contributor
80 posts
212 reviews
Save Topic
suggestions on itinerary without car(no driver's license)!

hello! we(middle-aged and senior female)are planning a stay in the cotswolds in late may, we have already booked B&Bs, 1 night in cirencester(coming in directly from heathrow), 2nights in bourton on the water, 1 night in winchcombe and 1 night in cheltenham. our tentative itinerary looking at the not-that-frequent bus time table is as follows.

day 1: leaving luggage in cirencester,bus to bibury and back, then with luggage onto bourton to sleep.

day 2; take a taxi to upper slaughter, then walk slowly back to bourton, plus model village.

day 3: bus to stow and back, then pick up luggage, late afternoon onto winchcombe to sleep

day 4: sudeley castle and walk in winchcombe village, late afternoon onto cheltenham

day 5: cheltenham to bath (then we will be doing a day tour to stonehenge etc).

as with a senior who walks fine but not long distance(one way from bourton to upper slaughter is 3.5miles according to google and that is already enough for the day for her) , i think it would be good if we can arrange a one way taxi ride...otherwise maybe we will just do lower slaughter on foot.

i originally wanted to include broadway or chipping camden, but the bus connection is not too good so i am now leaning to this itinerary. in the meantime we would love to have nice pub meals or cream teas from time to time. she also loves to see flowers, althogh we maybe a little too early for that? any suggestion would be welcome and appreciated. thank you very much!!!

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: suggestions on itinerary without car(no driver's license)!

Looks doable

I may be unduly pessimistic, but do check the bus times again nearer the time. Local Authorities are desperate for ways to save money, and an easy target is subsidised bus services - you could fall foul of this

England
Destination Expert
for Peak District National Park
Level Contributor
4,692 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: suggestions on itinerary without car(no driver's license)!

Out of curiosity, where are you going to after Bath. The reason I ask this is because if it is London, you might be better going to Bath first, then re-arranging the Cotswolds part of your itinerary so that you can catch a train to London from Moreton in Marsh.

You also seem to be doing a lot of double tracking - for instance the bus route from Cirencester to Bourton will take you through Bibury, and to get from Stowe to Winchcombe requires a change of bus in Cheltenham ! I therefore can't help thinking that bearing in mind your luggage problem, your itinerary ought to be something like...

- Heathrow-Bath (2 nights)

- Bath-Cheltenham (2 nights)

- Cheltenham-Winchcombe & Sudely (then back to Cheltenham for the second night)

- Cheltenham to Moreton in Marsh (2 nights)

- Day trip to Bourton+Stow+Bibury and another one to Broadway

- Then train from Moreton to London (or elsewhere).

Phil-the-Bus

tokyo
Level Contributor
80 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: suggestions on itinerary without car(no driver's license)!

thank you for your posts! dzug1, i will make sure to double check bus time schedule just before our departure! phil the bus, i wish i inquired earlier, but some of my B&Bs and hotel in london are prepaid, ie, no refunds for whatever reason for change/cancellations, so the change of sleeping places i am afraid does not make sense now...but i will check on bus time schedule again and will try to combine some places as per suggestions...thank you again!!!

4. Re: suggestions on itinerary without car(no driver's license)!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, February 11, 2015