We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay as a base in Cotswolds for 2 nights in July

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
311 posts
1,262 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay as a base in Cotswolds for 2 nights in July

We are 2 couples from Australia in our 60's driving around the UK in a hire car for 4 weeks.

We are travelling from Padstow to the Cotswolds for 2 nights then onto the Swansea area Nth Wales.

We would like some ideas of what town/village we should stay in as a base for the 2 nights.

We love quaint pretty villages/ towns that have a couple of good pubs or restaurants so we can have a beer, wine and a good meal at the end of the day.

Also what places should we not miss on our 2 days, I known that less is better, we were thinking of driving the Romantic road route 1 day is this a good idea?

We are happy to wander around these places and have a good look around, we like good scenery and as above quaint villages and towns.

Any help would be appreciated.

Twyning, United...
Level Contributor
481 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay as a base in Cotswolds for 2 nights in July

Consider stow on the wold where you can visit bourton on the water and moreton in the marsh.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,153 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay as a base in Cotswolds for 2 nights in July

I would look at Chipping Campden and/or Broadway.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
9,555 posts
486 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay as a base in Cotswolds for 2 nights in July

I think you will enjoy basing in Chipping Campden. There are several nice places to stay and good pubs/restaurants. You can also stroll the village a bit and look into some shops.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
311 posts
1,262 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay as a base in Cotswolds for 2 nights in July

Thanks for all your advice, where would you suggest we stay in Chipping Camden ?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
311 posts
1,262 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay as a base in Cotswolds for 2 nights in July

Pains wick and Bilbury also look nice, do you think they fit into our criteria of where to stay?

Australia
Level Contributor
88 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay as a base in Cotswolds for 2 nights in July

There are a number of B and Bs in Chipping Campden that are reviewed on TA www.tripadvisor.com.au/HACSearch… and also hotels

We have stayed at The Chance and booked again for later this year. http://www.the-chance.co.uk, but availability for any B and B may depend on when you are travelling.

We have also stayed at Bibury and Painswick and both are pleasant in their own ways. Painswick is bigger than Bibury and has a number of attractions. I would avoid Bibury in the peak season as access in and out could be congested, but it was great in late autumn as it was very quiet. Painswick is further south than Chipping Campden so it comes back to what you want to see and do.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,555 posts
486 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay as a base in Cotswolds for 2 nights in July

We stayed at Lygon Arms Hotel in Chipping Campden, which is well reviewed. We found it a little funky but we may not be a measure of objectivity [hotel snobs ;) ] We dined a few times at a very near Lovat Arms Hotel [sublime curry and we are resto snobs also ;)] and thought it looked a bit more upscale then our place. There are also others. If you click on my name, you will find a dozen reviews of hotels and restaurants from our September/Ocrober 2012 trip to the UK.

With regard to where to base, I think you cannot go wrong with either Chipping Campden or Burford. According to my research before our trip, these are the two most recommended bases. And for two nights, you really cannot go wrong. Pick one and make it a point to visit others which look appealing.

8. Re: Where to stay as a base in Cotswolds for 2 nights in July

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 4:03 pm, December 25, 2015
Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,555 posts
486 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay as a base in Cotswolds for 2 nights in July

Diz, my bad, do not know what possessed me! It was the curry at Noel Arms - here you go! noelarmshotel.com/restaurant-and-bar/curry-a…

Not that we are such curry-knows, but it was wonderfully delicious and we returned for more a few days later. We did not stay at Noel Arms. but the lobby looked inviting with the fireplace going and sitting spread out. Just more appealing than Lygon Arms we stayed at.

And, of course, we knew nothing re the Volunteer Inn, which could very well be a hit!

Edited: 2:54 pm, April 06, 2013
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
311 posts
1,262 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to stay as a base in Cotswolds for 2 nights in July

Thanks for all this great info, have had a good look at Chipping Camden, looks like a good base,

Is their any input on Eight Bells Inn, Volunteer Inn and Lygon Arms. Also bagers Hall and The old Bakehouse.

Will have a look at Burford.