We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cotswold Way: skipping 30 km

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
702 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Cotswold Way: skipping 30 km

We will be walking the Cots Way in May (starting in Chipping) and we might need to skip 20-30 km. Which segment is less interesting (no view because always in the forest, or too urban) and is convenient in terms of public transport (or taxi) to jump? We want however to walk the last segment into Bath since we read the descent into Bath is worthwhile.

Any comments will be much appreciated

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Cotswold Way: skipping 30 km

Difficult one.

I'd suggest maybe Seven Springs or Birdlip to Kings Stanley. A fair amount of it is in woodland and the nearer views are urban Cheltenham, Brockworth, Gloucester, etc. The longer views (Malverns, May Hill, maybe further in good weather) you'll see from other parts of the walk anyway

Getting round it - by bus - is easy, from Seven Springs anyway. Bus into Cheltenham, then another to either Gloucester or Stroud, and another to Kings Stanley. All relatively frequent services.

Or cut out the last bit - I don't really agree abount the descent into Bath but views vary. Buses are tricky but not impossible if you do this. Or maybe do the descent separately - get the bus out to the P&R on the racecourse and walk back.

London, United...
Level Contributor
217 posts
336 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cotswold Way: skipping 30 km

I agree that the last day from Tormaton was probably the least enjoyable but that was partly because it was very hot (into the 80’s although it was only April) and we were wilting a bit. Also there was quite a bit along tarmac. There is not a single remaining pub or shop open on the way between Old Sodbury and Bath (sad). The walk through Dyrham Park is lovely and then the entry to Bath is tantalising because your first view of the city is from the north and instead of descending straight into the city, you skirt all the way round to the west and enter from the south east, so there are amazing views of the city but you never get any nearer! And you could get the same views from the bus. Then a rather long boring bit through suburbs. Once you get into the old city a spectacular approach across the Royal Crescent, but you could also do that after getting off the bus!

Yes, if I was going to leave out a day then I probably would get the bus from Chipping Sodbury to Bath. I certainly wouldn't want to miss out on any of the other days!

If you leave out Seven Springs to Kings Stanley you will miss Leckhampton Hill & the Devils' Chimmney, the views from Crickley Hill and its amazing iron age ramparts, the woods beyond Birdlip which have some of the oldest trees in the country, Painswick which is one of the loveliest small towns in England with a spectacular church and churchyard with 99 clipped yews (the devil uproots the 100th one whenever they have planted it!!), the walk along the disused Stroud canal and the industrial archeaology of the area.

Let us know what you decide!

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
702 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cotswold Way: skipping 30 km

We have decided to take the 620 bus in Old Sodbury, get off at the P&R on the racecourse and walk the last 5 km into Bath. We are all set-up and ready to start hiking on coming May 9!

London, United...
Level Contributor
217 posts
336 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cotswold Way: skipping 30 km

Have a great time! Hope the sun shines. Spring is late this year so there may still be bluebells and wild garlic in flower when you walk and the countryside will be looking wonderful. I will just be on the last leg of the Via Francigena when you start - walking 400km Lucca to Rome!

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Cotswold Way: skipping 30 km

That's a shame, I was looking forward to hearing how you skipped part of the Cotswold Way. I think the art of skipping or hopping public rights of way have sadly declined over the years. People just seem to plain old 'walk' things nowadays.

Oxfordshire
Level Contributor
2,608 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Cotswold Way: skipping 30 km

" I will just be on the last leg of the Via Francigena when you start - walking 400km Lucca to Rome!"

Do you mean you've already walked the whole route from Canterbury, or that you'll be on the last bit of the Tuscany-Umbria-Lazio bit?

And if the former, how many days has it taken you, over how many years? Impressed by the 400 km bit, mind you: but interested in how long it'd take to follow in Sigeric's entire route.

London, United...
Level Contributor
217 posts
336 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cotswold Way: skipping 30 km

People say 3x30 days at a reasonable pace for the whole walk. But I am only doing the Tuscany-Lazio stages (it doesn't go into Umbria) this spring, plus the first leg from Canterbury to Dover next week! No-one recommends the French bit, but once you get over the border to Italy it is completely different and everyone says great walking. I'll let you know!

8. Re: Cotswold Way: skipping 30 km

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, March 22, 2014