We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Easter in the Cotswolds

London
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Topic
Easter in the Cotswolds

Hiya

I've just realised the dates I'm planning on springing a surprise Cotswolds trip on my other half coincide perfectly with Good Friday and Easter Monday.

Neither of us drive, so from looking at the other posts I've picked Bourton on the Water as the best place for buses to other villages/towns. Does anyone know how the service is over easter in general? I don't know exactly where we're going to explore yet, so I'm not sure which bus routes will be most useful...

Also, anyone know if shops/restaurants are likely to close on the sunday/monday?

Although the natural beauty of the area is unlikely to be closed over easter, it would be good to know if we'll be able to pick up the odd cuppa!

Any advice appreciated,

ta!

Cheltenham, United...
Level Contributor
55 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Easter in the Cotswolds

For public transport information see www.escapetothecotswolds.org.uk/visitor-info/

Pubs and restaurants will all be open on the Sunday and Monday as they are national holidays and therefore busy. In the tourist destinations most small independent shops will open between 10am and 4pm - for the same reason.

Aguadulce, Spain
Destination Expert
for Almeria, Province of Almeria, Province of Almeria
Level Contributor
994 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Easter in the Cotswolds

Also take a look at

http://www.cotswolds.info

Oxfordshire
Level Contributor
2,630 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Easter in the Cotswolds

Most (but not all) Cotswold bus services do NOT run on Sundays and bank holidays - which, for the purposes of bus timetables, include Good Friday and Easter Monday.

They DO however mostly run on Saturdays, including Holy Saturday (the day between Good Friday and Easter Sunday) , so we have in many places the odd (if you assume the world is designed for the convenience of tourists, rather than the residents who use the service) experience of no buses on Friday, buses on Sat, no buses on Sun or Mon, then normal service resuming on Tues.

Trains usually follow a more or less Sunday timetable on Good Friday and Easter Monday - but engineering work is inevitably more common over the Easter weekend than at times of the year when people are going to work. It's essential to check the National Rail website in early Jan for long-term advance notice.

You need, I'm afraid, to check bank holiday and Sunday bus running route by route, since policies differ widely. This is pretty laborious, and many websites grotesquely mislead. Go to escapetothecotswolds.org.uk/visitor-info/… then select the relevant subregion of the Cotswolds, and then press on the link for the route concerned. This takes you to a display of operators' websites, and you need then to go to the relevant operator and look up the details on their site.

I'd hold off committing to Bourton (or indeed to any bus-dependent Easter holiday here) until you're sure you really can get the bus routes you want when you want them.

England
Destination Expert
for Peak District National Park
Level Contributor
4,758 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Easter in the Cotswolds

Flanneruk is correct about Sunday and Bank Holiday bus services in the Cotswolds. In the area you are looking at, you need to assume the following:

Good Friday - No bus services operating except possibly service 801 (see below)

Easter Saturday - normal Saturday service

Easter Sunday - No bus services operating

Easter Monday - No bus services operating EXCEPT for a limited service on route 801 (see link at the bottom of this web page - pulhamscoaches.com/#/timetables/4539355309 ).

With regard to Good Friday, you will need to email Pulhams Coaches direct at info@pulhamscoaches.com to see if they will be running service 801 on that day (I think that they have done in the past).

To be honest, the Cotswolds is not the best place to be without a car on a Bank Holiday weekend - can you change the date of your visit ?

Phil-the-Bus

5. Re: Easter in the Cotswolds

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, December 19, 2013