We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cotswolds - 2days/1night..... Where should i stay

Bombay
Level Contributor
170 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Cotswolds - 2days/1night..... Where should i stay

Hi,

Plan to be in the Cotswolds on the night of the 25th of October 2012. The objective is to see the countryside, wade in the rivers, see the architecture of the area, enjoy some good meals and generally while away some time.........

The plan is to: -

# Train to Oxford on the 25th Morning

# Spend about 4 hours in Oxford. Rent a car there for a day and drive into the Cotswolds

# Would like to see Bourton on the water, The Slaughters, Chipping Camden (And maybe even Bibury) (Wonder if thats too much for 1pm on 25th to 1pm on 26th )

# Back to London in the shortest possible time (via oxford or otherwise)

We are on a short holiday and we may never come back to this part of the world/UK again and hence the hunger to see as much as possible.....

## Is the above doable....

## Any views on which town we should put up in? Should i stay in one of these or in a place like Cheltenham or in one of these towns....

## Read about a very good B&B called the Battledown and that seems to be pushing me to Cheltenham. Also this bit of Cheltenham being the base for the two roads in the Cotswolds - "A road for today" and "A road for tomorrow"

Cheers..... Please do advise

Regards,

Tanya

Diz
UK
Level Contributor
1,048 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Cotswolds - 2days/1night..... Where should i stay

It's going to be getting dark by 6pm at the end of October, so there isn't as much time for sightseeing as you might hope.

The locations you've identified are roughly in a line, so the logic would be to start in Chipping Campden for the afternoon, then, before it is dark, drive down to Bourton/Slaughters (they're quite close) and stay overnight. Have a meal and potter round if you want to, then explore in the morning.

Staying in Cheltenham will add driving time that you don't have, and Bourton is nice in the early morning anyway, as it's quiet.

Drive back to Oxford with a detour to Bibury if you want to (and have time) - I left it to the end because realistically it's a very photogenic little spot, but what you'll have time to see is the row of old cottages - and you may feel you've seen plenty of them by then!

I'd suggest driving from Oxford to Chipping Campden via Burford which is lovely.

Incidentally, I don't think of the Cotswold rivers as places for wading. Kids sometimes splash about frightening the ducks at the fords in Bourton, but it's not really a visitor activity - and the water will probably be cold in October anyway!

Edited: 8:06 am, September 13, 2012
Leeds, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Cotswolds - 2days/1night..... Where should i stay

It does get both cold and wet during October in the cotswolds

3. Re: Cotswolds - 2days/1night..... Where should i stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, September 15, 2013