We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

train from airport to Cotswolds

tampa florida
Level Contributor
102 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
train from airport to Cotswolds

I have never visited the area before, and need advice.

Can I take a train directly to the Cotswolds from the airport? Is there a Broadway stop? Suggestion for amount of time in the area, and places by train thereafter?

Mentioned in this post
Cotswolds
Cotswolds
England, UK
London
Destination Expert
for London, Devon
Level Contributor
22,571 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: train from airport to Cotswolds

The Cotswolds are a beautiful and somewhat remote pert of England. There are throe who will claim it is impossible to get there and travel round without a car. I am not one of those people, and I believe that a little bit of planning and forethought can give you a very rewarding visit to the Cotswolds using trains and buses, whilst giving you the satisfaction of knowing you have left a very light footprint on what is officially an 'Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty'.

There are some links here to public transport information:

escapetothecotswolds.org.uk/visitor-info/…

Mentioned in this post
Cotswolds
Cotswolds
England, UK
England
England
United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
Level Contributor
2,632 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: train from airport to Cotswolds

Astonishing though it might sound, there's more than one airport in Britain. I'm assuming you mean London airports, though there are trains that connect for the Cotswolds from Manchester, Southampton and Birmingham airports.

Birmingham (BHX) is by far the closest intercontinental airport to Broadway, though there's no station at Broadway

It may not matter to you - but it would save potential helpers energy (and increase your likelihood of getting a useful reply) if you had the courtesy to say WHICH airport.

There are no westbound train services from Heathrow. There IS an hourly train from Gatwick to Reading, which connects with the trains from Paddington to Charlbury and Moreton in Marsh (from where you can get a bus to Broadway) , and those trains can be accessed by bus from Heathrow.

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Cotswolds
Cotswolds
England, UK
Manchester
Manchester
Greater Manchester, UK
Southampton
Southampton
Hampshire, UK
Birmingham
Birmingham
West Midlands, UK
Heathrow Airport
Heathrow Airport
Hounslow, UK
Reading
Reading
Berkshire, UK
Charlbury
Charlbury
Cotswolds, UK
Moreton in Marsh
Moreton in Marsh
458 Reviews
Moreton-in-Marsh, UK
Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
14 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: train from airport to Cotswolds

I would like to ask the same question, and I am assuming jdgebutch has the same question -- from Heathrow to Moreton-in-Marsh, is my query -- I gather Moreton-in-Marsh is the only real Cotswold station. I think one has to go into Paddington station in London on the Heathrow Express or the Heathrow Connect [two direct connector services via train or subway, not sure which it is considered to be], and then pick up the First Great Western Railway train to the west via Oxford to Moreton-in-Marsh... but not sure. Other travel forums mention connecting via Slough or Reading but one might have to get a bus to one or more of those places or go on the Heathrow Connect rather than the Express... what is this forum's best advice for a traveller not familiar with the U.K. but not totally unfamiliar, either...

Mentioned in this post
Heathrow Airport
Heathrow Airport
Hounslow, UK
Moreton-in-Marsh
Moreton-in-Marsh
Cotswolds, UK
The Cotswold Food Store & Cafe
The Cotswold Food Store...
301 Reviews
Longborough, UK
Paddington Station
Paddington Station
1,152 Reviews
London, UK
London
London
England, UK
Heathrow Express
Heathrow Express
962 Reviews
London, UK
Oxford
Oxford
Oxfordshire, UK
Slough
Slough
Berkshire, UK
Reading
Reading
Berkshire, UK
Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
3,000 posts
215 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: train from airport to Cotswolds

As someone who was brought up in the Cotswolds - I'd have to say that it is very difficult to get around without a car. There are a few railway stations but the prettiest villages do not have good public transport links. Whilst it is possible to get buses to some places, you will be very limited in where you can actually get to.

Mentioned in this post
Cotswolds
Cotswolds
England, UK
Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,388 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: train from airport to Cotswolds

Well put it this way:

trains from London to Moreton in Marsh start at Paddington Station. They then call at Slough (mostly, but not all) and Reading (all) before carrying on to Oxford and beyond.

From Heathrow you have the choice of Paddington Slough or Reading to pick up the train.

Paddington can be reached by the Heathrow Express (fast but horrendously expensive), Heathrow Connect (a bit slower and a bit cheaper) or the tube (slow and cheap and involving at least one change)

Slough can be reached by local bus - cheap but slow as it wanders round industrial and housing estates en route.

Reading can be reached by express bus - not that cheap and prone to traffic delays at times

It's really a question of balancing cost and convenience - and that balance varies from person to person.

At least on this line you don't have the added complication of cheap advance fares - there aren't any

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Moreton in Marsh
Moreton in Marsh
458 Reviews
Moreton-in-Marsh, UK
Paddington Station
Paddington Station
1,152 Reviews
London, UK
Slough
Slough
Berkshire, UK
Oxford
Oxford
Oxfordshire, UK
Heathrow Airport
Heathrow Airport
Hounslow, UK
Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
14 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: train from airport to Cotswolds

To reply to Walking with Boots [and I am looking forward to reading some of your other posts] we really don't want the worry and the bother of a car and we can, possibly, rent one locally for a day or two perhaps if we wish -- we are going to walk, we can walk from bus stops or even have a taxi drop us off somewhere and we'll walk back -- we will only have 10 days and don't want to become tied to a car. We will get to some remoter areas somehow and I will inquire re renting a car locally for a very short while -- I will post another question on this! If you have a few really special suggestions re villages or areas in the Cotswolds to get to, would you post them here?

Mentioned in this post
Cotswolds
Cotswolds
England, UK
Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
14 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: train from airport to Cotswolds

By the way, are there any changes on the route by rail from Paddington to Moreton-in-Marsh?

On another forum I believe I just noticed someone describing that -- one or two changes. I thought that Moreton-in-Marsh was on a direct route to somewhere and that the train trip would not involve a stop and a change from Paddington. Am I wrong? I wish the train travel search online would be clear about this but it isn't... this will be for December 2012.

Mentioned in this post
Moreton-in-Marsh
Moreton-in-Marsh
Cotswolds, UK
Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,388 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: train from airport to Cotswolds

There are normally no changes between Paddington and Moreton in Marsh - stops, yes, but no changes

There may be an occasional option that requires a change at Oxford, but it's not normal.

There is a timetable change in December - normally fine tuning rather than major changes - so you won't get precise information now.

Mentioned in this post
Moreton in Marsh
Moreton in Marsh
458 Reviews
Moreton-in-Marsh, UK
Oxford
Oxford
Oxfordshire, UK
Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
14 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: train from airport to Cotswolds

Thank you so much, that reassures us -- arrival day is always pretty tiring...

Oxfordshire
Level Contributor
2,632 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: train from airport to Cotswolds

" I wish the train travel search online would be clear about this but it isn't.."

What on earth is unclear about the answer you get if you feed your proposed journey into the planner at http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/

Departure time: arrival time: number of changes. What else could you possibly want?