We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train/bus or drive??

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
16 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
Train/bus or drive??

We are planning a trip in 2013 to Cotswolds and want to visit several of the small towns as well as Oxford. Although we are walkers/hikers we are not considering a walking/tour company since we do want to drive to other areas.

Have looked at renting a cottage for 7-8 days but driving from London (and on opposite side of road) is somewhat daunting. Any suggestions as to best location for car rental? I have a friend who indicated that we needed to be sure not to rent a manual shift since it is difficult enough trying to drive on opposite of road and have to shift on left instead of right side!!

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
35,521 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train/bus or drive??

Might be an idea to just take a train to Oxford since you want to visit there and rent a car there. Not much point in renting it in London. alternatively rent from the airport and drop it back off there when you leave. that will avoid a one way drop of fee (around 35GBP normally)

Your friend is correct about auto's. You have to reserve one specially as stick shifts are the norn in the UK. you will likely have to pay more for an automatic though.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
16 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train/bus or drive??

Thank you for your response! Good suggestion taking train to Oxford and renting car there.

Now to start search for cottage rental as our base .....lots of options there.

Thanks again!

Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
2,535 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train/bus or drive??

You won't actually want a car whilst you are in Oxford sight seeing.

However, it will be fairly essential for the Cotswolds as public transport there is fairly limited.

4. Re: Train/bus or drive??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 3:35 pm, May 31, 2012
Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
16 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train/bus or drive??

I will check it out....I've been on Cotswolds websites for Bourton on Water and Chipping Camden. From reading I've been doing on villages, Bourton does have lot of options for pubs, bus service, etc.

Thanks for the website.....it is not one I had.

Regards!

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,381 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train/bus or drive??

There is a Stagecoaxh service from Oxford to if I have the spelling right Bourton, well it's a Stagecoach Gold service.

My best suggestion with Stagecoach buses ask for a Dayridet plus these are normally cheaper than a standard return and that's what my local stagecoach bus drivers do and when you have one of these tickets you can normally use any other Stagecoach service in the area.

7. Re: Train/bus or drive??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 10:00 am, November 24, 2015
Edited: 10:00 am, November 24, 2015
Australia
Level Contributor
88 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train/bus or drive??

Have you considered basing yourself in Cheltenham once you move on from Oxford and spending some days on public transport...if so this web page could be useful as it will get you to some of the smaller villages and combine these with some walking and back to a central base. You may prefer to forget about the driving experience totally.

www.nationaltrail.co.uk/Cotswold/text.asp…

west midlands
Level Contributor
202 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train/bus or drive??

hi, you wont go wrong with bourton a great base with loads of eating places and a good bus service chipping campden is beautiful but for convience bourton has the edge

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
49 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Train/bus or drive??

I've been to England numerous times and just returned from the Cotswolds, car-free. It was easy to get to various locations from London. We went to Stratrford-Upon-Avon (not exactly in Cotswolds). From there you can get a bus to Chipping Campden (Cotswolds). Train service to Moreton-on-Marsh is frequent and reliable. If you do a little homework, you can get by just fine without a car, however, you should travel light so you don't have to haul loads of luggage around. Use the website "Traveline" http://traveline.info/ to help you plan your trip. I've driven the manual transmission cars with controls on the other side in Scotland and Ireland. You can do it but not necessary if you travel light. Feel free to send me a message if you want more info.