We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thing sto do in Essex please!!!

Basque Country
1 post
Save Topic
Thing sto do in Essex please!!!

Hi,

Im a spanish girl who´s going to High Beach (or Beech) as an aupair and I would like to know what to do in my free time and friday and saturday nights. A friend maybe is coming with me but I think she is going to Waltham Abbey. I want something to do because if not it could be vboring!

Please write me back!!

Thank you!!

Leire

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thing sto do in Essex please!!!

High Beach is in the middle of Epping Forest. There are very big houses there so you have done a good job getting in there. However, it is in the middle of nowhere and you will need a car or taxi to get out.

You are not very far from your friend at Waltham Abbey. This is a small village with the reputed grave of King Harold (1066, Battle of Hastings etc). There are many great English country pubs all around there. Waltham Abbey and Loughton (the nearest population to you) have many restaurants and small clubs.

There is plenty to do around there for the single girl. It just depends how easy your employers make it for you to get to any of them.

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London
Level Contributor
6,975 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thing sto do in Essex please!!!

I have had many au pairs, and I know how important it is to make friends and meet when you are here. As a suggestion, have a look at Aupair Box (it is German-run, but is in English as well, and there is a Spanish section). One of my au pairs found it very useful as a way of meeting other au pairs.

http://www.au-pair-box.com/forum/phpbb2/

Hope you enjoy your au pair experience here!

Lake Forest...
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Thing sto do in Essex please!!!

I am planning to be in Chichester, W. Excess to visit my friend, he does not drive, would like to have some advise what to do and how to get around, I don't see any hotel in Chichester on your hotel list, please get back to me. If it is possible, can you post me a map.

Thanks,

Tammy

Essex
Level Contributor
28,571 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thing sto do in Essex please!!!

Buenos Dias Lierolo

Essex is a lively County with plenty to do. I spend many of my evenings dancing - I like modern Jive - look at the UK Jive website for classes in the area where you will be.

I have a Spanish colleague at work who is well into Salsa - I suggest the SalsaJive website for information there.

There is also a Senora in Essex who teaches Flamenco, her name is Sandra La Espulita, and yes she has her own website too.

Jive and Salsa are nice social dance forms where you will meet lots of friendly people. You don't need your own partner as, during classes they tend to mix everyone around anyway, so you will always get to dance. During the practice or 'freestyle' sessions, people are always good about asking you to dance, and you can always ask them, it's quite acceptable for Ladies to do this, no one will think you are odd.

Of course if you hate dance, there are plenty of sports clubs around, or you could find out if there are local evening classes for subjects and hobbies to your taste - anything from car mechanics to flower arranging and all ways of meeing interesting people (they won't be so likely to be on a Saturday though!)

Hig Beech is a good area for Horse Riding too!

Find the local tourist information office - you'd be surprised what information they keep about all sorts of things.

Hope you enjoy your time in Essex - you can't beat it!

Adios!

EW

London
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Thing sto do in Essex please!!!

Hi Leire, I live in South Woodford (very near) and i would be happy to show you around on your day off if you would like.

Hope your job is working out for you and that you are enjoying your stay in Essex.

Take care

Dean

x

deanmusk22@aol.com

DC
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Thing sto do in Essex please!!!

You are very near London, and assuming you can get to the train stations you can easily sight see and go to the nightlife in London. More local, you could try the Waltham abbey area (not so nice), chingford, Loughton or Enfield in London.

High Beech area of Epping is quite nice, lots of walks to do in that area. Very popular in the summer.i think i would rather be in San Sebastian though!!

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,400 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thing sto do in Essex please!!!

Tobytran - I think you are getting mixed up. Chichester is in West Sussex, Leire is going to Essex which is about 130 kilometres away.

Leire - as Mr Cellophane says you are near to Loughton (where I was brought up) which is very upmarket with a lot of Premiership footballers living there. There's plenty of nice pubs and restaurants and you are around 30 minutes from the centre of London on the Underground.

Hope you enjoy it

Essex
Level Contributor
95 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thing sto do in Essex please!!!

Leirolo

You are only 10 mins in a cab to Loughton where there are lots of nice restaurants and pubs. Even Epping in 15 mins away and again nice places to eat and even a nightclub!!!!

Enjoy x

9. Re: Thing sto do in Essex please!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:25 am, September 15, 2009