We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family trip to Rye in February 2012

London
Level Contributor
47 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Family trip to Rye in February 2012

Hi, we want to do a family trip for 3 nights and don't want to drive too far (we are in bedfordshire.) would you recommend Rye for this time of the year and if so what could we do,also where would you stay for a good quality hotel with a 3 year old. we would like to explore around it too, but not drive too far so any nearby places you would recomend too would be great or train ride to somewhere. thank you

England, United...
Level Contributor
1,134 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family trip to Rye in February 2012

Rye is a lovely little town, and is like stepping back in time with its cobbled streets and independent shops.

http://www.visitrye.co.uk/

Outside of winter months there are masses of nearby places to visit, and some of these are open in Feb (if only on a limited basis):

Bodiam castle - great ruins for exploring

Camber sands - large beach with sand dunes, very pleasant to walk on a sunny (if cold) day. Bring your wellies.

Battle Abbey and batllefield (1066 and all that) -open weekends and 1/2 term week

Port Lympe Animal Park - excellent and includes a safari

Hastings Old Town and Blue Reef Aquarium (accessible by train)

Romney, Hythe and Dymchurch Steam Railway - I think it may run weekends

Rye habour and nature reserve

McArthur Glen designer outlet - accessible by train to Ashford International

And a bit further afield: Canterbury, Howlett's animal park, Eastbourne, Brighton, Dover Castle (inc secret war time tunnels).

There are a number of good restaurants/tea shops and places to stay (though as day trippers, we haven't stayed at them). The Mermaid Inn, which dates back to 12th century, is often recommended, though I not sure how suitable it is for a 3 year old.

Edited: 10:53 am, December 14, 2011
Winchelsea, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
5,563 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family trip to Rye in February 2012

I think a 3 year old would love "The Mermaid" with all it's nooks and crannies, but I'm not sure what their kids policy is. Check first - otherwise we stayed at The George when my daughter was 5, and it was fine.

The suggestions are excellent ones. I'd add the oft-overlooked audio-visual presentation in Rye tourist centre, based around a fantastic model of Rye. Do that first, to get your bearings.

Bodiam Castle is a must.

Mike

Canterbury, United...
Destination Expert
for Canterbury
Level Contributor
3,791 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family trip to Rye in February 2012

Regarding train trips, you need to be aware that the Ashford-Hastings line that passes through Rye is due to be closed during February whilst work is done on Ore Tunnel between Hastings and Rye (can't see why they have to shut the whole line as far as Ashford, but that's the plan). A replacement bus is scheduled. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-15083796

Local MPs are challenging the extent of the closure so keep an eye on http://www.southernrailway.com/ nearer the time

Rye, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Dover, Rye
Level Contributor
6,071 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family trip to Rye in February 2012

Yes, the track closures are a right pain especially since it is closed for 2 months, like Bayboy said., I don't understand why they have to close the whole track to do this though :(. St39 has offfered up some good suggestions for you :) I do agree with what he has said as I would have suggested similar places. :)

In regards to Rye, there is a market on a Thursday which is quite good, and what visitors to Rye seem to flock too. As I live in Rye, I can't help with accommadation though, but have eaten around Rye, and quite like Simply Italian, and the Runcible Spoon to do with the Owl and the Pussycat, but they do nice food.

Surrey
Level Contributor
6 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Family trip to Rye in February 2012

Rye is a lovely place to visit at any time of year & there are lots of things to see & do. There are some great places to stay depending on your budget & there is also lots of s/c accommodation in and around Rye that will probably take short breaks at that time of year

Rye, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Dover, Rye
Level Contributor
6,071 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Family trip to Rye in February 2012

Your input about where to stay in Rye will be apprecriated. Been a local it's not something I can advise on.

London
Level Contributor
47 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Family trip to Rye in February 2012

Apologies for not replying sooner, we have had a family bereavement so things have been put on a back burner. Thank you for all your info and advice, Rye sounds perfect. If we are able to still go at some point I will update you on the accommodation there. Thank you and sorry for the delay in thanking you.

Rye, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Dover, Rye
Level Contributor
6,071 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Family trip to Rye in February 2012

Hope you can manage to get to Rye in the near future, and sorry to hear about the bereavement. If you require any help in regards to Rye, I will try to help:)

Camber, United...
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Family trip to Rye in February 2012

Just to add to what everybody else has been saying Rye is an excellent destination for all the family with Camber Sands beach right next door. As you have a child I would also consider a self catering cottage with a number available in both Camber and Rye www.holidaylettings.co.uk has around 50 or so on my last count. It's Rye bay Scallops festival from 25th Feb http://scallop.org.uk/ and Valentines day on the 14th so if you do intend to go I'd advise booking asap

I'd recommend the steam engine at bodiam for the child as it's a Thomas the tank engine one. More kids stuff on

britishweekendbreaks.co.uk/category/fun-for-…

10. Re: Family trip to Rye in February 2012

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:21 am, February 17, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Rye