We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Years Eve 2006 Advice

Hampshire
3 posts
Save Topic
New Years Eve 2006 Advice

Myself and a couple of mates are planning a few days in Brighton over the New Year period. We're looking for somewhere reasonable but clean and cheap as it'll only be for crashing out at night. Age range is 30-40 and not fussed if we need to share a room as we've done a few weekends as a group of 6 before (3 guys + 3 girls) sharing a room but the girls are up to other things this year.

We'd also like some advice on some places to go during the day and out at night - somewhere with a bit of atmosphere, friendly and where you can get served!! It's not going to be a lads boozy weekend away...well not to start with anyway!

Any advice gratefully received and any questions answere asap.

Thanks

Richard

Brighton, United...
Destination Expert
for Brighton
Level Contributor
4,455 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Years Eve 2006 Advice

First off, what’s cheap? There is cheap, but then its probably going to be somewhere less than salubrious. Having said that, I know the West beach Hotel caters for “groups” but it’s reviews are pretty awful, but then it doesn’t sound like you’re too fussy if you have to rough it for a couple of nights? On the plus side, its a great location right in the centre and on the seafront.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g186273-d561406…

But generally on NYE, is anywhere going to be cheap?? don’t think so. Especially not in Brighton. So you really need to do your homework and do some ringing around to get some rooms, sooner rather than later. Let me know your budget.

When you say somewhere to go during the day, do you mean shopping areas, sightseeing or places to be barflys for the day? With nightlife, are you looking for the usual pre-club bar type places then clubs or trad pubs?? Pse come back with more specifics.

I actually hate going out on New Yrs Eve in Brighton (and god I must have done 20 or more!! …giving my age away now!;-)) reason being you have to queue to get in anywhere half decent and pay a door charge for places which are normally free to get in, then there’s getting a cab home.....ha!... some chance... and if you do manage it you have to pay twice the normal price! Having said all that, if you plan ahead get advance tickets for clubs, and stay central you could have a cracker of a night.

In the past there have been street parade/festivals going on in Brighton on NYE and these have been great, the streets packed with revellers heading down on to the beach. Fat Boy Slim is rumoured to be doing a gig on Brighton seafront on NY day, if he gets the go-ahead from the council & the police. So you could be in for an awesome time!

Hampshire
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: New Years Eve 2006 Advice

Hi Mr Bojangles

Have taken your advice on the hotel front especially as the day after I posted, Fat Boy Slim announced the gig - no connection whatsoever...honestly!!

* Accomodation

I've got a list of hotels to ring round including:

Amalfi Hotel

Andorra Hotel

Atlantic Hotel

Brighton House Marina Hotel

Diana House

Funchal Guest House

Kelvin Guest House

Madeira House

Pavillion Guest House

Queensbury Hotel

Rowland House

Russell Guest House

Sandpiper Guest House

Shirley Guest House

West Beach Hotel

Baggies Backpackers

Having read the reviews (and seen the pictures) the West Beach is now off the list. We did a similar event in Newquay and I think it was about £15 a night but we had to book for 4 nights. I suspect Brighton will be a lot more expensive...I'll post what I've found in case anyone else wants to know. Are there any you'd recommend off the list (or avoid) and any other suggestions. We basically want somewhere clean and secure that we can crash out at and will share a room if we need to. In fact I think we did Baggies last time we were in Brighton.

* Daytime

Really looking to be barflys during the day - just relax and watch the world go by with maybe a beer or a coffee and something to eat. Last time we were down we stopped off in a great little bar near a shopping centre and spent all afternoon in there it was so good!

* Nightime

Not looking for packed overpriced clubs more trad pubs and bars with a good atmosphere and an age group over school age (25-40 would be great if there's any out there) but we don't mind trad trad pubs - just please no chav pubs!! I'm in your age group so would be happy chancing a few places you'd try out!

We're planning on coming down on the Friday or Saturday so we can suss a few bars out and get tickets where needed first - normally have to in most towns on NYE these days we've found.

Thanks for your help (they should pay you for this you know!!)

Richard

Brighton, United...
Destination Expert
for Brighton
Level Contributor
4,455 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New Years Eve 2006 Advice

I don’t know too much of the hotels you mention, but I like the Regency Square area for its locality to the centre of town, in which case the Russell would be my first choice (and its got gr8 reviews too).

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g186273-d211129…

Buy have a look on this site at all the reviews before you decide.

Also have a look and type your requirements into Laterooms laterooms.com/en/k16281408_brighton-hotels.a…

and visitbrighton.com/home/…default.asp

But your gonna need to book ASAP, the potential problem as far as hotels go is that many require 2 night weekend bookings and as NYE is a Sunday, it might prove difficult. You’ll have to see.

As far as getting tix for the FBS gig, that could be awkward as they’re trying to restrict tix sales to locals with BN postcodes (and that’s about 300k people (or more!) so eBay could be the only way to get in. But its down by the pier (east of) down on Madeira Drive, you should be able to get good views from up on Marine Parade also, but you’ll be able to hear it anywhere down on the front I should think!

During the day I would suggest mooching around the North Laine & Lanes areas, there are some cool cafés and bars and pubs all over, start in Bond St, then into Gardner St, Kensington Gds and Sydney St (all North Laine) and the Lanes (head to Black Lion St, Prince Albert St and surrounds, again you’ll find many places to chill out here. Theres are also some places down on the front at the bottom of west street to drink, the Arc Bar & The Fortune o War, plus loads of little cafe's along there. It'll be ok down there so long as its not wet and windy!

ightime , Go to the marina for a good night out, there are 3 traditional pubs and 3 good bar come-clubs. see my list of places to drink in the link below. But avoid West Street at Night at all cost, Chav City, there are two big clubs (The Event & Creation) and big pubs (Yates & Westerspoons) always trouble, so avoid!.

OK pubs, The Font (in Meeeting House Lane) and around the corner is O'Neills (20yds from Browns in Ship Street. The Pump House is ok too (off Nile St in the Lanes). I coulkd go on, but i thinks there's enough to be going on with!!

To be honest, many of the bars are open past 1am now so no need for a club. Some of the clubs are open to 3,4,5am too! (ie Honey Club, Ocean Rooms, Audio, the Zap and Po Na Na) there really is SO much choise. check this site for details.

http://whatson.brighton.co.uk/Club_Links.asp

My Best bars (IMO): Browns bar #1, Esca # 2, Koba # 3 ,Pitcher & Piano # 4, Saggara # 5, Sumo # 6, Suga Kube # 7.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186273-i249-k7782…

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
76 posts
261 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New Years Eve 2006 Advice

Agree with Bojangles and everything he's posted.. (though I think Saqqara is either closed or maybe operating some odd opening hours these days) one thing I would add though is that last New Year's Eve I noted a disturbing new trend of a few bars being closed on New Year's Eve afternoon. All of these were charging entry that night and were closing for few hours in the afternoon to stop people hoping to get in for free and then camp out til the evening's festivities started... I wait to see what happens this year.......

Hampshire
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: New Years Eve 2006 Advice

Thanks Guys - really appreciated. We're onto the phone calls now and have even considered renting an apartment / flat as it might be bout the same as 3 x 3 rooms x 3 nights.

I'll post an update if not before then ceratinly after the event and do some honest opinions of where we went / stayed etc.

Again, thanks for the help!

Regards

Richard

Brighton, United...
Destination Expert
for Brighton
Level Contributor
4,455 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New Years Eve 2006 Advice

Richard, due to a change in cirumstances i will now prob have spare FBS tickets for NYD on brighton beach, contact me brighton-bojangles at hotmail dot co dot uk if your group are interested in going whilst youre down here.

7. Re: New Years Eve 2006 Advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:19 am, August 25, 2009