We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is out best travel option

australia
Level Contributor
328 posts
108 reviews
Save Topic
What is out best travel option

Hi All,

Australian family of 5 ( mum/dad daughter 13, son 10 and grandma 70 ) . We are leaving our apartment in London ( near London Bridge ) mid October and heading down to Brighton for one day/overnight before heading to Southhampton for one day before going on a cruise from there. I am looking at my options and need some advice please. We will have 5 large suitcases and backpacks and all persons are healthy & mobile :

Option 1

Train London to Brighton ( too early but appears about 89 pounds ) 1hr

Brighton to Southhampton ( about 59 pounds ) 2Hrs

Total 148 GBP

Total travel time 3.0hrs

Option 2

Private transfer in mini van approx 1.5 hrs & 2.0hrs

Combined cost 270GBP

Total travel time 3.5 hrs

Option 3

Bus National express 3 Hrs 27GBP

Brighton to Southhampton 3hrs 41 GBP

Combined total 68 GBP

Total travel time 6 hrs

Is there a view that cant be missed on trains ? Will we get a seat and have storage facilities for bags, is the bus a better option even through it is longer and cheaper. Leaning towards the mini bus transfers but they are the most expensive obviously.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,382 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: What is out best travel option

Your rail prices are unnecessarily high - you do not need anytime tickets as (if you've any sense) you will be travelling offpeak

London Bridge to Brighton £33.60 off peak single groupsave on FCC trains. Can be bought on the day

At the expense of changing in East Croydon and using Southern trains only this could be as low as £20 using advance singles - not yet on sale

Brighton to Southampton £30.80 offpeak single with groupsave. Buy on the day.

Yes you will get seats (off peak anyway) and yes you will cope with your bags

I'm assuming weekday travel - weekends have the potential to be cheaper but it depends on the daye

Winchelsea, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
5,626 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What is out best travel option

Those prices seem high to me for the train. If you can travel after the morning rush hour they will be cheaper, and that way you can use a family and friends railcard too, saving you loads over the two trips : familyandfriends-railcard.co.uk/eligibility-…

Your best train option is first capital connect. Their trains run direct from London Bridge to Brighton. As they go via Gatwick, luggage space is often a bit more generous. One thing - they depart from the upper "through" platforms at LB, not the lower "terminus" platforms. Remember this.

Hopefully one of our train ticket experts will be along soon to tell you when best to buy.

I would always take the train from London to Brighton. You don't say where you're staying whilst there, but you might wish to consider a minibus taxi when you arrive to avoid the (downhill) walk to the seafront.

Finally, obeying that classic rule of travel (especially the first bit) would make your travels rather more enjoyable : "take half as much stuff as you think you need, and twice as much money. "

Mike

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
413 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What is out best travel option

Train from London Bridge to Brighton website here: http://www.firstcapitalconnect.co.uk/

As said above, get your tickets in advance, miss the rush hour (cheap day travel normally starts after 10am) & when you get to Brighton Station get a 6/7 seater taxi (which will have sufficient space for your luggage) to end your journey.

Train from Brighton to Southampton website here: http://www.southernrailway.com/

Cheapest 1 way is currently £13.25 but book a group ticket in advance & travel off peak to reduce this.

St. Albans, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What is out best travel option

I would say that your best option is the train.

I would take the First Capital Connect train which goes direct from London Bridge to Brighton. If you are going at the weekend it will probably be pretty busy and you may not get seats - I travel on this route often (usually on Saturdays) and most of the time I am fine as I get on north of London, but by London Bridge it can get pretty chocker with daytrippers.

If you're going during the week, off peak, I would say you will definitely get seats together and plenty of space for luggage as the trains are usually fairly deserted then.

I have traveled by train from Brighton to the New Forest, changing at Southampton, and can't remember any particularly stunning views, but I could be wrong, and it is a pleasant journey. It is nicer and quicker than going by road as there are no motorways until Portsmouth, and the A27 is not a very interesting road and has a single carriageway section from Brighton to Worthing which is slow and boring!

Best wishes,

Grace

5. Re: What is out best travel option

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:51 am, March 24, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Brighton