We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

'Mexican war' in Brighton - who is best?

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,386 posts
1 review
Save Topic
'Mexican war' in Brighton - who is best?

The Mucho Burrito thread made me think of the burger war threads, not only are gourmet burger outlets opening up all over town but there are now more Mexican burritos et al available than you can eat.

Now challenging the established Mexican outlets is Bang Bang Burrito on Jubille st,. then the chains Mucho Burrito on North street and Tortilla on West street just a stones throw from each other.

Why now and will they succeed I don't know but perhaps this thread could be used for best Mexican food in Brighton. Please add some remarks if you've eaten at these places and others.

Stoofer

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,386 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: 'Mexican war' in Brighton - who is best?

All subjective of course but currently before the three listed came along my thoughts were:

1. Sit in/traditional meal: Los Amigos, always a good bet.

2, La Choza - good value for take away, sit down casual is good too.

3, Fun night out in a group: Las Iguanas (not only Mexican but some dishes)

All good in their own right IMO but if I had to name one as best I'd go for Los Amigos.

The three new ones listed are basically fast food takeaways/sit in, be interesting to see how they compare in terms of food quality and enjoyment.

Any thoughts experiences to add to this thread?

Stoofer

Nice, France
Destination Expert
for Brighton, Nice
Level Contributor
6,211 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 'Mexican war' in Brighton - who is best?

Seriously, none of them. I know Mexican food well, and what is on offer here - indeed, anywhere in the UK (believe me, I've tried and tested Mexican food from here to Edinburgh) - isn't close to the Sonora or Oaxacan food found in California. First of all, some of the key ingredients (particularly the cheese) are hard to find in the UK, so the recipes can only be made using substitutions. Secondly, most of what is on offer here is mostly Tex-Mex, which is more Texan than Mexican.

I'm not a burrito fan, so I can't comment on the burrito places, but what I wouldn't give for a really good taco!

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,386 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: 'Mexican war' in Brighton - who is best?

Hi Artgirl, please don't take this the wrong way but if you are going to post about authenticity I think that's a mistake, folk like burritos, tacos and various fried and spiced foods that hail from Mexico so I was asking what do they enjoy most when in Brighton.

If you want authentic and ultimately native ingredients it gets very confusing and doesn't help as to what is a decent meal here in the U.K. IMO all you can go for is a copy with what is to hand and the same applies in California because the food you get in California is different to what is available on the gulf coast of Florida and in neither of those destinations where 'proper Mexican regionals' are supposedly dished out by Mexican residents do you find exactly the same food as in Mexico City. Also the one time I visited a Mexican beach resort what I mostly found being served was quite different to inland and to what most of the local population enjoy, mostly because many tourists won't find it palatable.

My point is if you are going to dismiss all Mexican outlets here then you may as well dismiss Chilli PIckle or Indian Summer for Indian because the food bears little resemblance to what you find in Delhi. Then you can go on to argue what is Indian or British, what food is Mexican or Spanish etc. even historians argue on that. ;-)

It's all subjective of course but the question is if folk want to grab a tasty Burrito or Taco or have a sit down meal where do they get the best of this type of food in Brighton from and increasing number of options, some of which are undoubtably very popular.

Stoofer

Edited: 4:55 am, January 05, 2014
Crawley, United...
Level Contributor
217 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 'Mexican war' in Brighton - who is best?

Quite right I like Bang Bang.

Brighton, United...
Destination Expert
for Brighton
Level Contributor
4,483 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 'Mexican war' in Brighton - who is best?

Three of us tried out Tortilla on Sat pm, ok so it's a bit of a novelty, reasonabley priced. Food? Hmm, won't be rushing back, flavourless burritos & soft taco? I expected something akin to TacoBell, quite disappointing.

All the meat is like pulled pork, mine (pork) was watery, whilst the others both had Beef (50p extra!).

Summary: Not somewhere I'd rush back to frankly.

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,386 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: 'Mexican war' in Brighton - who is best?

Thanks, Bo. Not been there but doesn't sound very inspring. I quite like Taco Bell if no other options, interesting that you found this place falling short of that marker. I doubt I'll bother risking it as I rarely grab this sort of food ( I like a sit in mex style meal at times) and when I do there are good options, that was the point of my post really wondering why so many similar joints suddenly appear.

If you like pork, the pulled pork burrito at La Choza was 'proper' when I've tried it twice, stuffed full of rich meat @ £7. You can have it as a take away too. I grabbed one a couple of weeks ago on my way back to the station and ate on the run, I was absolutely stuffed by the time I boarded the train. A good tasty filler, beware their habenero salsa though, they have three salsa options, mild, medium and hot, but it should be described as medium, hot and blow the b*oody doors off. ;-)

Stoofer

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,529 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 'Mexican war' in Brighton - who is best?

@2, there is proper Mexican food to be had in London, though probably not many other places in the UK. There's a Mexican-style cheese makers in Peckham of all places (Gringa Dairy) and Mestizo, near Euston station has extremely authentic Mexican food.

8. Re: 'Mexican war' in Brighton - who is best?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:20 am, January 17, 2015