We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel from LHR to Brighton

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
34 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Travel from LHR to Brighton

Any information or advice on the following questions will be greatly appreciated. We are a family of 3 adults travelling for the first time to UK with two luggages and 2 hand carry in late November 2013.

1. We will arrive at LHR on a Saturday morning 7.30am and will head straight to Brighton, staying at Jurys Inn. Understand from past posts, recommended to take National Express Coach (No. 25) from LHR-T3 to Brighton Pool Valley Coach Station, fare estimates to cost GBP25 each. Upon arriving at Brighton, would we need to take a cab/taxi from Pool Valley Coach Station to Jurys inn, bearing in mind we have luggages? Is so what would it likely to cost?

2. Alternatively, would it be more cost effective and convenient to take a cab/taxi direct from LHR to Jurys Inn Hotel, Brighton. Any idea how long this journey will take and how much it will cost and if the cab/taxi runs by meter or flat/fixed fare?

3. We will head back to London after 3 nights on a weekday, where we will be staying at the Millennium Gloucester Hotel, Kensington. As the hotel is near the Gloucester Road Underground, would you advise to take the train from Brighton to London and change at some stations to take us to the Gloucester Road Underground and to our hotel with our luggages? What would be the train line(s) and stations we would need to take or embark/disembark to reach destination?

4. Or is it better to take a cab/taxi direct from Jurys Inn to our hotel in Kensington, London?

We will be most grateful for any information and suggestion anyone here care to share. Thank you.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,298 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel from LHR to Brighton

I'd search for a BRIGHTON based taxi company who will pick you up at Heathrow. Don't take a taxi from the rank at LHR nor use a London based car service as they will be MUCH more expensive and won't know where you are going & will be reliant on GPS or guesswork

As for returning to London - take the train to Victoria then change to the District Line for the Tube to Gloucester Road

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
19,714 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel from LHR to Brighton

1) Almost right - although as you are travelling into Heathrow not Gatwick the service you want is the 747, not the 025. Timetable: nationalexpress.com/assets/…747.pdf

You can book this in advance, although it isn't usually necessary as this route has plenty of capacity and you can buy a ticket at the Coach Terminal on the day. The coaches depart from Central Bus Station, which is linked by walkway to Terminal 3, and there are plenty of staff on hand to help you find the right coach.

If you do book, but get delayed and miss your booked coach, go to the ticket desk at the coach Terminal and ask to be rebooked onto the next service. You may be asked to pay a small administration fee (about £5 per ticket), but you won't have to buy new tickets.

On the way into Brighton the coach stops at Preston Circus. If you get off there instead of Pool Valley Jury's Inn is only a short walk so you win't need a taxi. If you wish to get off at Preston Circus, remind the coach driver.

2) I don't know the cost of a taxi from Heathrow to Brighton, someone else can answer that!

3) Going back to London, take the fast train to London Victoria (every 30 minutes, takes under an hour), then the Underground (Circle and District Lines westbound to Gloucester Road). If you travel after 09.30 you will be able to buy a 'Groupsave' fare, which will allow the three of you to travel for the price of two. Ask for one-day travelcards, these will cover the train from Brighton to London, the Underground journey to Gloucester Road - and also unlimited travel on buses, Underground and most other trains in London for the rest of the day (in fact, until 04.30 the next morning).

4) Again, I don't know what a taxi from Brighton to Central London will cost (and I dread to think). The train will be more economical and certainly quicker. The Underground will be a little bit of a pain with luggage, but so long as you arrive in London in the middle of the day - say, between 11.00 and 14.00 - you will avoid the worst of the crowds on the Underground. A taxi from Victoria to the hotel would be a possible compromise.

I hope this helps!

Edited: 6:58 am, October 18, 2013
Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
412 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel from LHR to Brighton

1. We will arrive at LHR on a Saturday morning 7.30am and will head straight to Brighton, staying at Jurys Inn. Understand from past posts, recommended to take National Express Coach (No. 25) from LHR-T3 to Brighton Pool Valley Coach Station, fare estimates to cost GBP25 each. Upon arriving at Brighton, would we need to take a cab/taxi from Pool Valley Coach Station to Jurys inn, bearing in mind we have luggages? Is so what would it likely to cost?

Correct coach info already given, journey time will be appx 2 hours. Taxi cost from Pool Valley to Jurys Inn is appx £5.

2. Alternatively, would it be more cost effective and convenient to take a cab/taxi direct from LHR to Jurys Inn Hotel, Brighton. Any idea how long this journey will take and how much it will cost and if the cab/taxi runs by meter or flat/fixed fare?

Taxi cost for a 1 way transfer from LHR to Brighton is appx £100. You must book in advance with a local company to get it this cheap, if you get a taxi outside LHR it will cost you appx £200!!! The journey time by road will be appx 1hr 15mins on a Sat morning. If you need any help with this feel free to pm me, no I'm not touting for work, I will give you information on some local companies for you to make your own arrangements with.

3. We will head back to London after 3 nights on a weekday, where we will be staying at the Millennium Gloucester Hotel, Kensington. As the hotel is near the Gloucester Road Underground, would you advise to take the train from Brighton to London and change at some stations to take us to the Gloucester Road Underground and to our hotel with our luggages? What would be the train line(s) and stations we would need to take or embark/disembark to reach destination?

Fast trains to Victoria runs twice an hour from Brighton then underground or taxi to your hotel (personal choice).

4. Or is it better to take a cab/taxi direct from Jurys Inn to our hotel in Kensington, London?

No, use the train, taxi will be expensive & slow.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
34 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel from LHR to Brighton

A big thank you to all of you for the above very helpful information. Two questions;

1. For the Groupsave fare and travel card (for journey to London) can we purchase either in advance or on day of departure at the Brighton train station?

2. For taxi from Pool Valley to Jury's Inn, or around Brighton in general will it be all metered fare or fixed/flat rate?

Once again thanks to you all and have a nice day!

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel from LHR to Brighton

1.. Yes - same price. Easier to buy on the day though

2 - pass

Edited: 2:39 am, October 19, 2013
Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
412 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel from LHR to Brighton

All licensed taxis in Brighton run on metered fare unless going on a long journey. All taxis are White with a Green/Aquamarine bonnet & boot, private hire cars are any colour other than white & can only be pre-booked.

…staticflickr.com/7192/6896009200_a61f5a18fa…

Nice, France
Destination Expert
for London, Brighton
Level Contributor
6,159 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel from LHR to Brighton

I always book with 581Travel for a car LHR-Brighton (just did this yesterday, in fact). The cost is £86.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
34 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel from LHR to Brighton

A last word of thanks and appreciation to all of you who have shared with me the above very helpful information. Looking forward to my first visit to Brighton and the UK!

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
34 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel from LHR to Brighton

Hi Guys, I have a few more questions and hope to seek all your good advice. As advised by Wirewiper, we intend to buy 3 one-day Travelcards for our journey from Brighton to London and take advantage of the "Groupsave" fare since there are 3 of us traveling from outside of London and during off-peak. As we understand we can make use of the one-day Travelcards for "2for1" entry to certain places of interest in London, can we purchase these one-day Travelcards for each of the remaining days of our stay in London at Brighton as we have not finalized on which day we would like to visit which place of interest, weather permitting. We depart from Brighton to London on 26 Nov and will be in London until 29 Nov 2013. Which means, can we buy the one-day Travelcards in Brighton Rail Station in advance for use in London over the next 3 days? Thanks a lot!

Edited: 11:52 pm, November 17, 2013
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travel from LHR to Brighton

Hi Resorto- I too will be traveling from London Heathrow to Brighton in the near future. Did you end up taking the National Express coach direct? If so, did you find this to be easy? Was it necessary to pre-book coach tickets in advance? (I will be traveling mid-day, middle of the week, so I assume it wont be busy) Were the luggage requirements similar to that of the airlines (size and weight)? I will have one medium/large suitcase and two carry-on size bags. Once in Brighton, was the taxi the easiest way to get to your hotel?

Just trying to find something simple since I will be traveling alone for this portion of my trip. Thanks!!

Get answers to your questions about Brighton